Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got something finished after my long healing process (not over yet, but enough to do things).

Below are pictures of my Red Oak cane turned on the lathe with the whale tooth topper caped with a nice piece of walnut that came off our property. I will probably never turn red oak again -- it was very difficult, the grain too large and I had to go the extra mile and use wood hardener to seal the large open grain. But, it turned out OK.

DSC02956.JPG DSC02957.JPG DSC02958.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
You can bet your arse thats a nice piece of scrimshaw .well done just love it i can see a lot of work in that .So how did you carve it and stain it .

I have no understanding of the type of wood you used ,but a experianced turner like your self saying it was difficult goes a long way .and the walnut does finish it off

I would put that as one of your finer peices Your tempting me to do a peice of scrimshaw

Was wondering where the island is does it say toga cant find the glasses yet but some on the way.using my old pair.

My great great grandfather on the wifes side was a sea captain and discovered a island of Austarlia so it was named after him as Britt island understand the name of its changed now .

But a lot of sailors did that sort of work on long voyages more so on whaling ships

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the complements! All the woodwork is mine, but alas -- the scrimshaw is another's! Turning and shaping I can do, but if I could carve like that, I'd be doing your kind of work! :)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Well done Rad. Red oak is a good looking wood. That's surly a cane to be proud of.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice.....you did a great job!

·
Registered
969 Posts
May have been a pain to work w. the oak, but the effort looks to have paid off. And it must be great to regain most of your arm movement.

I know its harder to pick up new skills as one gets older, but let me encourage you to try your hand at drawing some. Start easy. Get some tracing paper, and teach your hand and fingers how to move a pencil point around the image you are tracing. Do classic cartoon exercises, like drawing figures that are made all from circles or ovals.

Practice lettering. From what I've seen, a mid-level apprentice test used to be carving an alphabet.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Just saw this piece, outstanding Rad! I know red oak is very tough to work with to keep from tearing out the grain. It is common in our woods and makes for a beautiful sanded finish on the stick but I have yet to have any luck carving it. I am super impressed with the lathe work!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just saw this piece, outstanding Rad! I know red oak is very tough to work with to keep from tearing out the grain. It is common in our woods and makes for a beautiful sanded finish on the stick but I have yet to have any luck carving it. I am super impressed with the lathe work!
Thank you MJC4! The lathe has always been my favorite tool!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Somehow I had missed this. I was tempted to pick up some scrimshaw in Hawaii 40 years ago well before the current ivory restrictions were in place. Now I wish that I had.

That's an heirloom, for sure, both the scrimshaw and the red oak that you turned!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thanks CAS! BTW -- what does your new avatar stand for?
That's a native American art piece from Oklahoma that a long-time geologist friend and proud native American showed me that caught my eye. It reminds me of the martial arts, of the Korean Marines with whom I served in Vietnam, and the Asian-native American connection that goes back to the drum beats of the Caddo pow wow grounds very near my childhood home, and the ancestral Korean music that I heard in a Korean company commander's bunker back in 1968.

I grew up with Caddos and Kiowas, I am but 1/8 Chickasaw, and I lived with Korean Marines for over a year. The connections are overwheming, and I really want to see this artwork in person. A new museum under construction on the outskirts of Oklahoma City may make that possible one day.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
The artist is Allan Houser. His work is now on exhibit in Norman, Oklahoma.

301.jpg?a=1116659449214
An exhibition tracing the life of Allan Houser from his birth as the first in his family born out of captivity near Ft. Sill, Oklahoma to his culminating career as an internationally recognized artist. Eighteen sculptural works, selected watercolors, studio objects, plasters for bronzes, sketchbooks and ephemera.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Gilcrease-Museum--Fred-Jones-Jr--Museum--Oklahoma-History-Center--Oklahoma-State-Capitol.html?soid=1102007594670&aid=A7KiMqs8ykc

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The scrimshaw work has finally got me to engrave the rams horn but trying to use enamel paint insted of ink ,the horn is like your finger nails so ladies nail polish must be simular so giving it a go .

so hope it turne out as well as your piece but still fancy doing some more scrimshaw

1 - 20 of 25 Posts