Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Here's my first try at carving ducks using root canes. I'm using buffing wax and shoe shine wax with the very basic tools..

From left to right is maple, yellow birch and a dead standing tree. Please remember that I have no experience or talent in carving....: )

Have a nice day!,

Frank.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well..thanks!. It took me a while before posting pics of my work because we have so much fine works here. Thanks again for the positiv words.

Frank.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Nice sticks, well done

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looks like fine work to me. Imaginative use of the natural shape and structure of the wood. That is a big plus for me. And plus points for a simple batch of tools. Not sure about the shoe wax, tho'. Maybe let the sticks sit in open air and sun and let the wax get hard.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Very nice work, especially a first through third attempt :)

Never fear showing stuff here. I think in generaly carvers are almost always some of the most agreeable and helpful people you'll meet. Keep on working and showing. You have an eye for shapes, which is 80% of the battle if you ask me. the rest is just practice. Getting your hands to do what your brain is seeing.
I always encourage sketching first (this gets your muscle memory working and brings clarity to your thought) but freehand is fine too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Wow...watta boost ! thanks all for your kind words, i'ts realy a boost in my case.... :sword:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you've done a wonderful job. I also like your use of the natural shapes of the wood. You've got a unique style that I also like. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello Mikec,

Yes, the knife in the pic. This knife is just amazing for me, i remove bark and some chunk of wood. After that I use sand paper 60 and finish with a 120. Also Carving is a big word in my case. I try to finish a natural shaped top just to give a form. I'm far from relief and think more technical.

Thanks for asking.

Frank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts