Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, not really my "first", but first one in a really long time.
I was going through my "stash" in the shed and weeding out the ones that has suffered bug damage over the years and found one that I totally forgot I had. It is a Florida Sea Grape stick that I got out of a trash pile at the beach 6 years ago. Sea Grape is a wild "plant" that grows along the coastal ocean fronts and is very salt tolerant and is one of our major erosion control plants. Left alone, it will cover a coast line with close-to-the-ground bushes so thick a person could not walk through them - Much like the Mangroves. And, will "take over" the boardwalks that cross the dunes to the beach.
The land owners, mostly the National Park Service, controls this invasive growth with periodic pruning and they pile the cut up limbs by the road until their truck comes to collect the waste. That's when I collect a few "sticks" for use down the road. (I was mainly collecting for turning stock on the lathe - but, found this wood is not good for turning projects).
This specimen is the only one I have left and it was perfect for a "Hiker". The bark fell off over the years. After I collected it, I left the twig cut-offs about an inch long to have a nice "bump" when it is cut clean on the bandsaw and sanded smooth.
this was this mornings project. (I use an assortment of hand and power tools to get the job done).
Hand Pneumatic tool Saw Handheld power drill Drill

Saw Wood Picture frame Tool Handheld power drill

Barware Drink Table Wood T-shirt

Cloud Water Sky Plant Azure

Cloud Water Sky Plant Azure

Plant Leaf Fruit Terrestrial plant Woody plant

I'm thinking about going back this Monday or Tuesday to see what"s laying around in the trash piles. (thus the reason to have a good cordless sawzall).
I'll drop the wife off at her favorite fishing hole under the bridge and the beach is about 7 miles down the road.
Sounds like a plan to me !!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I like the color in the wood. I have see that down on the coast but I have never used the sticks. I have picked up a lot of carving wood at Fort Morgan , at the mouth of Mobile Bay. Hurricane season is a great supplier of sticks also.

·
Administrator
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry, Cowboy - I forgot to answer your question: yes, some people make wine and jelly out of the fruit. I've never tried any of it. you can google it if you are really interested.
the wood starts out a reddish color like eucalyptus but turns brown when exposed to the sunlight (UV) or age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.