Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,I went on vacation to Montana again last week.While I was there I scavenged some cottonwood bark to try my hand at carving.I found a tutorial on it online.So with a small switchblade for a knife,I gave it a try.I think it leaves a lot to be desired but it does look like the one in the pic I was looking at.Just thought I'd share my 1st attempt at this.

Food Cuisine Computer keyboard Staple food Dish

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looks fine. Imagine what you could do if you were using a blade specifically designed for carving. Maybe look at the Flexcut "Jack" line of pocket carving knives.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nice job for the first time one of these days I going to give it a try.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
For your first attempt I am impressed, looks great!! My first several attempts became "designer firewood".

Once you are bitten by the carving bug like stick making there is no turning back. For a small initial cash outlay for a detail knife and a couple of palm tools you will be surprised at what you can create!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again.I'm trying a second one.I did rehab and old pocket knife with small blades seems to work better.I wish I would have scavenged a lot more bark..

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Great job. Like the bark you left on there as well. We've got a lot of black cottonwood up here. So much so it reeks havoc on allergy sufferers and looks like it's snowing in June!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Good start rdemler. A great place to learn and fellowship with other carvers is a local carving club. If you google carving clubs in your state you may have one in driving distance. They usually meet once or twice a month.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks CV3.If I ever decide to really pursue carving I may just do that.I have wayyy too many hobbies now.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looks like you are down into some wood grain in the forehead. Looks pretty nice, and there is a clear improvement over the last one. See, its not so hard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you gdenby.It's kinda relaxing,I like it..I did add more detail to that face and have started a morel using the bark...And yes it seems like way better grain deeper into the bark..

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Nice looking work :thumbsu: You can also use the dremel tool to add detail to the hair and beard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you MJC4.I'm trying to use just a knife on this bark..It sure would'nt take much of an oops with the rotary tool to remove a big chunk..It's fun either way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.