Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back Sean asked what kinds of woods were available in our area I am fortunate to have several acres of woods available to me on our 51 acre farm -- they are a forest of dreams -- I walk the trails we have forged through them, I hunt them, I harvest fire wood from them, and I see enumerable sticks and canes in them! They are a source of great pleasure!

DSC02258.JPG DSC02340.JPG

When it comes to stick harvesting I often have to compete for my sticks with bucks who love to rub the bark of them -- but that's OK because I harvest the bucks also and they provide meat for the table -- but I also have to compete with the dastardly Wood Pecker! Those stinkers can shread a tree down to nothing DSC05198.JPG I wish there was a hunting season on them!!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beautiful forest shots. Lots of nice scenes in the Ohio Country as I remember from my times there.

Woodpeckers, oh no they are strong medicine.

As for the developers and clear cutters,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful forest shots. Lots of nice scenes in the Ohio Country as I remember from my times there.

Woodpeckers, oh no they are strong medicine.

As for the developers and clear cutters,,,,,,,

If I could ship the woodpeckers to ya I would --- we are pretty free of the developers in our part of the country!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Nice shots! Amazing how those bucks have stripped that tree so high up. It's one of my favorite things to do,

go out stick hunting.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice shots! Amazing how those bucks have stripped that tree so high up. It's one of my favorite things to do,
go out stick hunting.
Sean that tree that is shredded is done by the woodpecker not the deer -- sorry that I confused what I was saying.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I have to drive five miles to get to woods not nearly so well suited. Beautiful!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm pretty happy to see woodpeckers. The emerald borer ash beetle is starting to ruin a lot of wood around here. They don't just go after ash, altho that is evidently a favorite. My wife and I were walking thru a forest preserve a few months ago, and came across an area where every other tree was dead. The place had been fine the previous summer. Now, a ruin. Bark falling off, limbs snapped. We found a place to sit a few minutes later. And in another few minutes, the 'peckers began rapping all around. Hopefully the birds will do well enough to check the bugs at least a little.

And, speaking of developers... There was a farm next to the preserve that was sold off. There went about 1000' of mostly oak forest river front to 4 houses. Can't say I wouldn't like to live there, but the preserve is centered around what once was a private property where the owners house would today be considered pretty much a cottage. They left most of the old growth, and I can't imagine a nicer place to live.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty happy to see woodpeckers. The emerald borer ash beetle is starting to ruin a lot of wood around here. They don't just go after ash, altho that is evidently a favorite. My wife and I were walking thru a forest preserve a few months ago, and came across an area where every other tree was dead. The place had been fine the previous summer. Now, a ruin. Bark falling off, limbs snapped. We found a place to sit a few minutes later. And in another few minutes, the 'peckers began rapping all around. Hopefully the birds will do well enough to check the bugs at least a little.

And, speaking of developers... There was a farm next to the preserve that was sold off. There went about 1000' of mostly oak forest river front to 4 houses. Can't say I wouldn't like to live there, but the preserve is centered around what once was a private property where the owners house would today be considered pretty much a cottage. They left most of the old growth, and I can't imagine a nicer place to live.
OK! OK!! I guess I have to give-in to all you Woodpecker lovers out there!:). But I wish they would leave my house alone! Untill I painted the ledger board -- they wouldn't leave that treated wood alone just outside our bedroom! I think they were doing it just to "Bug" me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts