Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back Sean asked what kinds of woods were available in our area I am fortunate to have several acres of woods available to me on our 51 acre farm -- they are a forest of dreams -- I walk the trails we have forged through them, I hunt them, I harvest fire wood from them, and I see enumerable sticks and canes in them! They are a source of great pleasure!

Plant Green Tree Terrestrial plant Wood
Plant Natural landscape Tree Wood Trunk

When it comes to stick harvesting I often have to compete for my sticks with bucks who love to rub the bark of them -- but that's OK because I harvest the bucks also and they provide meat for the table -- but I also have to compete with the dastardly Wood Pecker! Those stinkers can shread a tree down to nothing Table Natural material Wood Font Metal
I wish there was a hunting season on them!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful forest shots. Lots of nice scenes in the Ohio Country as I remember from my times there.

Woodpeckers, oh no they are strong medicine.

As for the developers and clear cutters,,,,,,,

If I could ship the woodpeckers to ya I would --- we are pretty free of the developers in our part of the country!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Nice shots! Amazing how those bucks have stripped that tree so high up. It's one of my favorite things to do,

go out stick hunting.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm pretty happy to see woodpeckers. The emerald borer ash beetle is starting to ruin a lot of wood around here. They don't just go after ash, altho that is evidently a favorite. My wife and I were walking thru a forest preserve a few months ago, and came across an area where every other tree was dead. The place had been fine the previous summer. Now, a ruin. Bark falling off, limbs snapped. We found a place to sit a few minutes later. And in another few minutes, the 'peckers began rapping all around. Hopefully the birds will do well enough to check the bugs at least a little.

And, speaking of developers... There was a farm next to the preserve that was sold off. There went about 1000' of mostly oak forest river front to 4 houses. Can't say I wouldn't like to live there, but the preserve is centered around what once was a private property where the owners house would today be considered pretty much a cottage. They left most of the old growth, and I can't imagine a nicer place to live.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty happy to see woodpeckers. The emerald borer ash beetle is starting to ruin a lot of wood around here. They don't just go after ash, altho that is evidently a favorite. My wife and I were walking thru a forest preserve a few months ago, and came across an area where every other tree was dead. The place had been fine the previous summer. Now, a ruin. Bark falling off, limbs snapped. We found a place to sit a few minutes later. And in another few minutes, the 'peckers began rapping all around. Hopefully the birds will do well enough to check the bugs at least a little.

And, speaking of developers... There was a farm next to the preserve that was sold off. There went about 1000' of mostly oak forest river front to 4 houses. Can't say I wouldn't like to live there, but the preserve is centered around what once was a private property where the owners house would today be considered pretty much a cottage. They left most of the old growth, and I can't imagine a nicer place to live.
OK! OK!! I guess I have to give-in to all you Woodpecker lovers out there!:). But I wish they would leave my house alone! Untill I painted the ledger board -- they wouldn't leave that treated wood alone just outside our bedroom! I think they were doing it just to "Bug" me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.