Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I grew up doing farm work in southwest Oklahoma, including the building of miles of fence. The typical fence posts were eastern red cedar, but occasionally, Osage Orange, aka Bois D'Arc posts were used. The latter, when completely dried, was hard enough to bend a steel steeple if you didn't drive it in perfectly straight. Those posts would last many years.

I have several Bois D'Arc sticks in various stages of progress. This is strange wood to me, a novice at this. My sticks were purchased from a supplier to bow makers. They have supposedly been kiln dried, but they still have a yellow tint, unlike the completely dried gray posts that I once used for building fence. The draw knife must be used with great care to prevent digging into the wood. At an early stage, the grain seems far to coarse for carving. But once the sanding is underway, a transformation seems to occur. Suddenly the wood seems fine textured. I haven't progressed far enough to see how this would carve after sanding. This is a very interesting wood to work with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.