Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the first of the new batch I've been working on. I have a few more in various stages of finishing on the way too.

Nothing technically different about this one but everything did come together nicely I think.

The handle is a nice piece of western red maple with nice figure and some spalting on one side. The spacers are holly, black walnut and maple burl and the shank is alder.

Plant Musical instrument Botany Wood Grass Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass Plant Leaf Botany Vegetation Grass

Thanks for looking.

Rodney

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Everything came together nicely on this one. The joint where the handle meets the joint is always a tricky one for me. I haven't found any method other than a lot of time with rasps and sandpaper that works. Even being careful I usually end up hitting the bark at least a couple times while I'm working. This one came out better than most.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

Mark alder does grow locally, It's all over the place and likes to grow in disturbed soil like the ditches next to logging roads so the saplings are easy to get. Between being easy to get and liking the bark I tend to use a lot of it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Speaking of alder, I collected this piece a while ago and thought you might find it interesting, Rodney. It's a different species of alder than your local type, but it was a cool find. Except for the tight angle, I can see a perfect natural Cardigan handle in it. Unfortunately, it's too tight for my hand unless I place my index finger along the shank and hold it with the other 3 fingers. It does have a slight bend in the bit where the shank would attach, but it is still comfy to hold.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a neat one. Actually I prefer the three fingered grip and most of my handles are made that way. I think the index finger down the shank adds a lot of stability and control. Every now and again I make a longer handle for those who prefer to wrap all four fingers around the grip but mostly I make the shorter handles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.