Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I enjoy photography as well as carving. I carve better!! I Thought it could be fun to share some of the pictures of places or activity's we all enjoy. Today I was at the park not far from my house and notice they may need some air traffic control.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
This was just a few short weeks ago BRRRRR!

Forecast for the next few days is not good, 30*s and I heard that evil word snow again on Monday night. We really need a break around here, c,mon spring!!!!!!!

P.S. I ran the gas out of the snow blower, it ain't coming out again this season!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
These pics are much more fun then those last ones: My wife coming up the trail at Frozen Head Mt. State Park Tn. & the wife and camper @ Mt Pisgah National Park Campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina, fall 2013.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The happy days photo is the effect of the morning after , to much pendeltons and we all know whos it is

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
What are those red breasted birds called?

Thank goodness we have no need for those snow clearing macjines

This was just a few short weeks ago BRRRRR!

Forecast for the next few days is not good, 30*s and I heard that evil word snow again on Monday night. We really need a break around here, c,mon spring!!!!!!!

P.S. I ran the gas out of the snow blower, it ain't coming out again this season!

·
Registered
419 Posts
The in focus birds are all Cardinals (males are red, females are brown) the out of focus look like house wrens or finches of some sort.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
You are correct on both counts Jjireh cardinals and house finches. Cardinals are twice the size of the finches, yet they let the finches bully them off the feeder.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had quite a few cardinals, Indiana's state bird, this winter. Put out lots of sunflower seed. But they are very timid birds. Everything chases them away. They don't seem to flock, and operate as male - females pairs at most.

I usually have lots of house sparrows. Not so many this year. But had an increase in dark eyed juncos, which are a little smaller. There were some interesting turf wars between the 2.

Most of the birds flee from the bluejays, which I've learned are predatory. The only birds that consistently stand their ground are the various wood peckers. One jab from their beaks, and everything moves away quickly.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
bet that made the chicken eyes water (dubrovnic) Rome (buildes got the wrong address)

holiday2009 078.JPG 103.JPG

want to play with my trains set (wolds railway conservation )

wolds railway 001.JPG wolds railway 003.JPG wolds railway 004.JPG wolds railway 006.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Had a couple days of decent weather and got the old grape trellis that was broken by this winters heavy winds and snow torn down. The wife then cut the Concord grape vine way back and I got this new arbor built & installed before the vine comes out of dormancy. We are going to add another grape variety to the right side of the arbor and I am building a "love seat" type bench to put underneath. After the new vine is planted I will fill the inside with cypress mulch and set the bench. No carving or stick making till this is done, orders from the Commander in Chief, a.k.a. the wife! (I actually am enjoying this project)

As a bonus all the lumber was a freebie from my G-son. He works for a scaffold erecting contractor and all the lumber was sent back from jobsites and was going into a dumpster!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Thought I'd see how many birders are on here. Do you know what bird this is? (Here's a hint an American League baseball team is named after them)

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thought I'd see how many birders are on here. Do you know what bird this is? (Here's a hint an American League baseball team is named after them)
Aww, you gave away to much w. the hint. But as the bird flies, I'm kinda just down the road from you, and I've only ever seen 2 around here. A real treat to see one.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Yeah I kind of gave it away with the hint didn't I.

Gdenby when you see one put out some citrus slices that will keep them around a while. They also will help themselves at the hummingbird feeder.

We have a pair this year I think they took up residence in our the Austrian pine, we see them flitting in and out of there a lot.

I have to keep a sharp eye out for the neighbors barn cats, natural born bird killers they are! :ph34r:

I not anti cat, but I hate the way they kill the songbirds. People that own cats need to keep them in check.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Thought I'd update the Arbor pics.

First pic I posted was on 4.01 just after it had been set.

Here's the updated arbor pic with the bench added, hanging baskets and the grape vine starting to fill in.

We jumped the gun on the grape vine to the right of the bench. It was put in mid April and got bit by a late frost. It's now just starting to make a comeback.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
All you stick makers and carvers out there can you tell what tree these pics are from?

It just started to bloom after Thursdays rains and we couldn't resist the photo op.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 74 Posts