Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, through my own efforts, I manage to split a section/piece of cane shank/shaft I'd like to keep. . . and even though the crack is neither deep nor wide for misc reasons I want to save that piece if at all possible.

I've been using these glue syringes for years - and they work. The tip is so small I can get wood glue into almost any opening - the only drawback for me, is getting every last drop of the remaining glue out of the tip or they seal closed. I've found that warm water (kitchen sink - shhhhhh!) works best - by continually filling the tube and forcing it out the tiny opening.

After I'm certain I've put a sufficient amount of glue down into the crack, I put that shank into my vise or one of the clamps and crank it closed, clearing away the excess with a damp cloth or paper shop towel.

I ordered five more yesterday off eBay, for less than a buck a piece.

-neb

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
It must be worth you while to glue the shanks , I would only consider using a shank if its was sound and its straight

This is probably one of the main differences in stickmaking in America and the UK. no doubt both stickmakers will think there right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts