Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carved two pine gnome toppers in the last week. One was done the way I always do with stain the other I tried my hand at painting. The painted one is getting turned into a walking stick 1st. Attached are progress pics. I think in future, for me I might be better off attaching the topper to the staff prior to paint as the some of the paint needed to be sanded off to integrate topper to stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
coming on nicely, just a protective coat to do eh?

You could always mask the area of to prevent the paint from contaminating the wood but you still may get some bleeding

A simple thin coat of varnish would prevent bleeding ,but rather than remove it add to it and use it to enhance the stick.and incorporate it into the design

But i always paint the topper 1st then attach, its horses for courses.Then you can easily decide how you want it to look.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Making some progress. Staff is stained, needs the spar poly yet. Textured the grip as there was a blemish where I sanded out a knot.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.