Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Ottawa Canada. I am a retired meat cutter (retired at the start of the pandemic) and never been happier. After dealing with customers and the hustle/bustle of retail for over 46 years, the quiet and solitude of the past 2 years has been therapeutic.

I have recently been introduced to the world of sticks and have made an attempt (albeit rather poorly) at making my own walking stick out of a hardware store wooden dowel.

I have a long way to go...

Cheers
Colin

·
Super Moderator
976 Posts
Welcome aboard, Colin. I've been in retail (groceries like you) for most of the last 40 years myself and I couldn't agree more. Sawdust therapy has kept me sane (or helped a bit LOL) Looking forward to seeing your work.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum Colin. Stick making is like eating chips. Its hard to do just one. Hope you will jump right in. We are all willing to help if we can. there is lot of good information In the "Reading Room" section. just click on thr lines to the left of your avatar and scroll down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello from Ottawa Canada. I am a retired meat cutter (retired at the start of the pandemic) and never been happier. After dealing with customers and the hustle/bustle of retail for over 46 years, the quiet and solitude of the past 2 years has been therapeutic.

I have recently been introduced to the world of sticks and have made an attempt (albeit rather poorly) at making my own walking stick out of a hardware store wooden dowel.

I have a long way to go...

Cheers
Colin
I worked the last 25 years in a jail. When I left there I took a job in the Communicable disease lab taking care of their equipment. I went out to have a couple surgery's done just before Covid hit. And when I was better I decided I was not going back. Best decision I ever made!
I have made a few from hardware store dowels, that came out fine. You just have to add a focal point that draws the eye away from an otherwise plain stick.
One of the best I made was a cane length with a fire hydrant as the handle, and the hose as the stick. It was made from a rake handle that had a warp near its end. My local hardware store put it in a $1 bin. I cut off the warp, and stained the hose a beige color, with a bright red hydrant at the top. There is a stopper and a brass ring to give it a hose nozzle look.
It draws attn. DR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts