Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
965 Posts
Single digits and below zero windchill here. And snowing. And snowing. And...I think you get the idea. LOL My area's forecast is for about a foot of snow and wind gusts up to 60mph.

At least our forecast doesn't include the chance of falling iguanas like in Florida!

·
Administrator
152 Posts
LOL yes, the falling lizards is a real thing in South FL.
my weather is crazy - yesterday was 72*, had the doors and windows open for most of the day.
this morning was 30* with blustery winds. topping out at maybe 55-60. but next week, back to the 70s again.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Single digits and below zero windchill here. And snowing. And snowing. And...I think you get the idea. LOL My area's forecast is for about a foot of snow and wind gusts up to 60mph.

At least our forecast doesn't include the chance of falling iguanas like in Florida!
Now that is cold. Make our weather look like spring.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts

Good grief, I just thought it was cold here last night, I think it hit 19 if I remember right. We had to leave the water trickling so it wouldn't freeze. A few flakes flew but nothing to write home about. Today is a good day to stay inside and sharpen all my carving tools. Yeah buddy.

·
Super Moderator
965 Posts
I remember a day 15-20 years back when the daytime high was -20F. It was on my birthday (which was last Saturday.I have now completed 56 trips around the sun.) and I was out in the horse's pasture fixing his fence. We were babysitting my oldest niece's horse and he kept breaking the fence and getting in with the gf's horse and eating all his food. That was a bit nippy even for me.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Nippy the dickens, that is down right cold. lol The coldest I can remember was back in 1949 or 50, we had just moved to Memphis from way out in the sticks. It rained like crazy as the temps started falling. We had 4 inches of ice on everything and the temps dropped on down to 5 below zero, man talk about cold, that was some kinda cold to me.

Here in Tennessee, when it gets cold, the wind will blow right through you. Up north it isn't like that at all to me. I was in Connecticut one winter, and it was so cold you couldn't make a snow ball, but I didn't wear a coat because it just wasn't cold up there to me, compaired to down here.

·
Super Moderator
965 Posts
That's the weird thing about cold, how cold it feels depends a lot on the relative humidity. At least that's what I've found to be the case. A day in the 20s feels colder than a day well below zero because there's still some moisture in the air. Just like the notion of high temps in the desert vs. high temps in a swamp. A swamp is hot and humid but the desert has a dry heat so you don't end up feeling as miserable.

The snow we got last night is what we refer to as dry snow, really powdery and won't hold together for a snowball or snowman. Drifts like crazy, too. Well up over my knees when I went out to check on the horse.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
That's the weird thing about cold, how cold it feels depends a lot on the relative humidity. At least that's what I've found to be the case. A day in the 20s feels colder than a day well below zero because there's still some moisture in the air. Just like the notion of high temps in the desert vs. high temps in a swamp. A swamp is hot and humid but the desert has a dry heat so you don't end up feeling as miserable.

The snow we got last night is what we refer to as dry snow, really powdery and won't hold together for a snowball or snowman. Drifts like crazy, too. Well up over my knees when I went out to check on the horse.
I don't know of a snow down here in Chattanooga or the Memphis area, where I use to live, being a powdery snow. It has always been a wet type snow where it sticks together and forms ice on the streets from cars packing it down.

dw, you must live out in the country, just can't beat country life in my book.

·
Super Moderator
965 Posts
Yup. Small town of about 6,500 people. It was still a mill town/ farm town when I was a kid but is basically a bedroom community these days.

The one good thing about that heavy, wet snow is that it doesn't drift. The stuff we got last night drifted to nearly waist deep in places.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.