Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a bit, and I have not found the perfect GPS device that serves both my needs and will easily embed into a walking stick, for example as those tiny compasses will embed in the top of a walking stick.

This wrist watch could simply attache to a stick as if it were your wrist, but then why not just wear it?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pID=107272&img=productImageRFLarge

The various Bushnell Backtrack models could be embedded I think, or at least attached so that they look better (you have to be able to change batteries). However, these are pretty crude GPS devices that show locations only in Degrees-Minutes-Seconds and with limited or no ability to specify your preferred datum.

Garmin's fēnix™ wristwatch is almost $400, so if my CFO (my wife) will ever get me one, I'm sure not going to mangle it to install it on a stick. I'm very disappointed!

Back to the drawing board. This would have resulted in the perfect geologist's Jacobs staff, if I could have had a permanently mounted but inexpensive GPS. I think the old fisherman's Garmin that I purchased 20 years ago cost around $35, and was as precise as any of these newer and fancier models.

Next, I have to figure out how to notch a stick in order to mount an Abney level, and also use some sort of brass tacks or screws to mark feet and tenths of a foot for the first foot, to measure rock outcrops.

Any GPS recommendations? Of course it should be small and preferably inexpensive. I need latitude and longitude in decimal degrees and my prefered datum is NAD27. This is so I can jot down the locations of outcrops in my field book and later enter these into a mapping program back in the office.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Could be as simple as a GPS app for my iPhone. I didn't realize until yesterday, that in addition to the AGPS that locates telecom towers rapidly that there is also an internal GPS that will locate satellites in 12.5 seconds (minimum on a clear day). Apparently, all I need is the best app, and possibly a solar charger, as the internal GPS is a battery hog. Internal maps are recommended. Research is ongoing.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1159528/how_iphone_location_works.html

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I do not recommend any particular GPS app. However, because I have contracted numerous surveyors to survey drilling locations and create topographic maps over the past forty years, I am somewhat familiar with some of their equipment manufacturers. Trimble is a familiar name, and Triimble makes GPS and other surveying equipment and base stations.

So, I purchased a $5 Trimble app for my iphone, and I see that I can specify the datum as either WGS84 or NAD27. All my oil and gas data are in NAD27 geographic coordinates (latitude-longitude), so that is perfect for me. I also see that I can specify the latitude and longitude display in either degrees-minutes-seconds, or in decimal degrees. That too is perfect for my mapping applications.

Now, for the best mount and thread adapter for my iPhone 4. This will facilitate using the GPS, maps applications, and the camera.

This is appealing, the Glif Plus, but I'll have to ask my son who often keeps me from erring in the techie world:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...x2UaGFMeqb2QXux4CwDg&ved=0CFcQ9QEwBg&dur=4698

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are also come good bike-mounted iPhone holders that allow you to zip up the phone and keep it relatively waterproof. They could mount around your round stick and also be removed should you not want to bring it along.

This one is middle of the road expensive, but is really good quality.

It seems like you're putting a huge amount of stuff on your staff. Does it throw off the balance?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
There are also come good bike-mounted iPhone holders that allow you to zip up the phone and keep it relatively waterproof. They could mount around your round stick and also be removed should you not want to bring it along.

This one is middle of the road expensive, but is really good quality.

It seems like you're putting a huge amount of stuff on your staff. Does it throw off the balance?
Thanks for the tip!

This stick is my first decent one. It has been a learning experience. All the gagetry is mounted on interchangeable marbelwood or pecan blocks, selected and screwed on based on the task at hand. The only attachments that are awqard are the Abney level, iPhone, and camera, which I don't leave on longer than necessary for fear of breaking them. Most of the time the diver's compass is attached.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New iPhone 7 = old iPhone 5 mount doesn't fit.

Making a new mount, instead of spending lots of money.

Once done, I'll post pics. It won't be pretty, a $2.89 bag clip from the kitchen section in my hardware store should do it. I'll use a threaded insert in an ebony block and attach the clip to that. The clip is UGLY, color choices were pink, purple, and yellow. Maybe I can figure out a way to paint the yellow plastic black.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Could be as simple as a GPS app for my iPhone. I didn't realize until yesterday, that in addition to the AGPS that locates telecom towers rapidly that there is also an internal GPS that will locate satellites in 12.5 seconds (minimum on a clear day). Apparently, all I need is the best app, and possibly a solar charger, as the internal GPS is a battery hog. Internal maps are recommended. Research is ongoing.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1159528/how_iphone_location_works.html
Hi , I use Motion-X GPS on my iPhone a brilliant app covers everyhing you need and more, there is even a Geocaching mode.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
My wife uses GPS on her phone which is linked to a fit watch '

She is a walk leader with several walking groups here and when she finish her walk it is automatically down loaded on her personnel map which she keeps for reference for future walks .it gives info on miles walked . time taken miles per hour calories use etc.

her son gave her the Samsung phone a couple of years ago and the fit watch this Christmas .. so keeping records its handy for her.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't used my app "Trimble Outdoors Pro" in a couple of years due to the battery usage. Trimble manufactures surveying equipment that is popular among surveyors here in Oklahoma. Perhaps 15 years ago, I don't recall, they began to use Trimble's satellite capabilities for detailed surveys of my drilling locations. Even after a President authorized more precise locations for civilian users, the satellite data were still not extremely precise, perhaps +/- 15-20 feet if I recall correctly.

So, I asked a surveyor how they achieved more accurate survey lat/lon coordinates. First, they had comm with a base station set up on a nearby USGS benchmark with first-order coordinates. Second, there are a handful of military signal stations that improve the triangulation still more if the surveyor is within range. I recall that we have one in Muskogee, OK.

Long story, but that's why I acquired the Trimble app, because my surveyors liked their actual surveying equipment. Any such apps are, for me, more useful if they can tag iPhone photos with fairly precise coordinates. That would be useful if a future source of saplings were located. Today, there must be a number of similarly featured apps.

I'm hoping for some decent stick-hunting weather this spring.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A little internet shopping turned up a number of options for providing an additional battery for my iPhone 7. However, they appear to be fairly new products, and I've yet to find one with great reviews. I'll have to ask my electrical engineer son about this, the next time we talk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts