Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! Just bumped into the forum today and thought it looked like something worth hanging around for.

I love making and walking with staves, typically longer'n the ones I've been seeing here so far, but made essentially the same way. Looking forward to sharing and learning more about the craft here on the forums.

I've got a simple staff that I'm working on, and I'll try to post pictures around the start of next month.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hello, glad to make your acquaintance. Can't wait to see what you are working on. In the mean time, care to comment on the woods you like to work, and the tools you like to use?

Right now, I'm working on 2 sticks from sycamore, 2 from black cherry, and 1 from sassafras. All are good woods, but I'm waiting on some oak to cure.

So far, I'm using hand tools. I have a pic of what I use most in the carving tools section. Most of them are pretty common, but I'm always on the lookout for anything that might make my clumsy work a little finer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for the polite welcome!

I primarily work with simpler woods that I can harvest locally. My current project uses red alder, but my preference has always been birch when I can find good samples of it.

My toolset includes a small knife (mostly for bark removal) a multi-speed rotary tool for carving and adding holes or mountings, and a 60w soldering iron that I use for woodburning. It gets too hot for light details, so if you like detailed pyrography I would advise a different tool. I also make use of hose clamps to help prevent the ends from splitting, and a bandsaw for when a project requires a clean cut.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Welcome aboard Llama118. I think I've seen your posts over on the SSF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts