Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi, littleknife,

I have a very old friend who lives not too far from Branson. A stick is a definite plus going up and down all those hills.

Glad to read you have a small collection. Before finding this site, I had also looked at what Wilderness Walkers was making. Nice sticks, and worth having. What's your favorite in your collection?

It seems to me part of the charm of a stick is the patina of use and memory that builds up around it. Even if you don't make your own, do you have any ideas about how you might personalize yours? I'm thinking like a gunslinger, maybe, carve a notch for every 20 miles hiked. Or, given your history, pound in a tor-x driver head for each geocache found.

Have a good walk!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hey, littleknife!

Thanks for the links to the geocaching forum. I didn't book mark it, but a few weeks ago I came across some works by "el diablo" mentioned in those links. Good to learn he's helped lots of folks w. stick making.

Also, thanks for the links to the scout pages. I suddenly remembered, very vaguely, a page from my dad's scout manual that i saw when I was 5 yrs old. Amazing what is up in the attic.

I too, do not find wrappings and loops too useful. I like to change my hand position over time, and depending on the slope. But I do want to be able to avoid slipping down and forward, mostly when my palm us sweaty.I've been working on different shapes & carvings to form a grip or braking spot.

I hope to post something in the homemade stick section in a week or two that shows that cutting away the bark on sassafras, and then doing some shaping results in a fine figured piece of wood.

See ya' round

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.