Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed a project on this cold and dreary day. Rooting around in the garage, I found this piece of maple cut off from a walking stick in my scrap bucket. Looked at the bumped up knot, (reason it was a cut off the in scrap bucket) and saw the potential for a grizzly's hump, so I carved up this bear head. The piece was already stained in gunstock. Applied a coat of BLO to the carving & dry fit up the handle to an 1 1/8" red oak dowel. Shank needs sanding and some sort of design work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Very nice job Mark. Looks like it will make a great user.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Your right about the winter its cold dark long and dreary . roll on spring .

But at least you can get your designs ready for those days when its fit to carve..

I have to try my hand at a walking stick never done one yet. fancy the carigan and the crooks sticks they always look good.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finished up the grizzly bear handle cane today.

The stick is stained with Minwax gunstock color stain and finished with two coats of spar polyurethane. It has a woodland camo paracord lanyard with wooden craft beads at the ends.

I wanted to do something a little different with the shank, so I burned bear footprints in a spiral from the bottom to the top.

Another fun one to make, I think this one will become my everyday walker! (till I finish something else :p)

Mark

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts