Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone growing a stick? I've started working with a couple of seedlings, now saplings.
I'm in the process of shaping them the way I want them.

I'll get some pics soon -- anyone else doing it? If so, what are you doing?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
looking forward to seeing those

going on a walk round some local woods to see what i can harvest , but it dosnt present the challenge like growing your own .

what saplings are they , how long do you think it will take you?

Its certainly different

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking forward to seeing those
going on a walk round some local woods to see what i can harvest , but it dosnt present the challenge like growing your own .
what saplings are they , how long do you think it will take you?
Its certainly different
I think at least 2 or 3 years -- cherry, honey locust, maple, some sort of cotton wood (I think).

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
thats going to be very worth while project long term ,but its something else to grow your own,lucky man to have the space tell us how its going from time to time and post some pics , no idea what honey mlocust looks like .

Never heard of anyone doing that but like the idea

Its to easy to go to the woods and get them you should be able to shape them whilst growing and even put a twist in the shank ,whatever you do this is some thing worth following even if it takes a few years

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
That will be great source for you Rad. Like cobalt go out looking for sticks when I can. I do have some trees in my yard I have harvested some sticks from. Oak , Dogwood, and Crape myrtle. I have a good size Dogwood tree that is dying on the side of my house I hope to take down this fall and there will be a number of great stick coming from it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That will be great source for you Rad. Like cobalt go out looking for sticks when I can. I do have some trees in my yard I have harvested some sticks from. Oak , Dogwood, and Crape myrtle. I have a good size Dogwood tree that is dying on the side of my house I hope to take down this fall and there will be a number of great stick coming from it.
I'm just playing around with ideas! I have a lot of resource when it comes to sticks! We own 51 acre of farm and woods -- what I lack right now is TIME! :)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[I'm just playing around with ideas! I have a lot of resource when it comes to sticks! We own 51 acre of farm and woods -- what I lack right now is TIME! :)[/quote]

It is the possible ability to influence the shape that makes it a interesting project. I hope you well share a picture now then, would like to see the progress.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Glad you didn't say "grow a pair" Rad! :thumbsu:

Almost two years ago, I planted a Prunus Spinosa sapling, about 18 inches tall. It has survived two winters, and is now (without going out to look) perhaps double that height. I see no signs of its supposed invasive nature, no more shooting up from the roots as yet. We shall see whether I live long enough to be able to harvest my own blackthorn.

Vance

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you didn't say "grow a pair" Rad! :thumbsu:

Almost two years ago, I planted a Prunus Spinosa sapling, about 18 inches tall. It has survived two winters, and is now (without going out to look) perhaps double that height. I see no signs of its supposed invasive nature, no more shooting up from the roots as yet. We shall see whether I live long enough to be able to harvest my own blackthorn.

Vance
Yeh -- I was careful about my wording! LOL!
I remember you planting the blackthorn -- I was wondering how that was going! Good to hear from you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know if bebb willow will grow in Central NY? I have access to 70 acres part of which is wetlands, sounds perfect for Bebb ( Diamond) WIllow.

Any idea where I might purchase Bebb Willow cuttings?cuttings?

Thanks

MY only concern is the property is overpopulated with deer and I am afraid they will eat whatever I plant.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never seen it in the Northern US -- I could be wrong, I would love to grow some!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I were younger I'd consider planting a few trees, but probably too old to see them harvested. However I do live in an area of rapid growth for trees.
Yes I hear you on the too old stuff -- unless they are really fast growing ..........

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been researching Bebb Willow on goggle and the USDA states this:

Distribution: Bebb willow range from Alaska south
to British Columbia to east Newfoundland and in
northeast United States and upper mid-western
United States.

Central NY is part of the northeast so it should grow there. My brother lives on 70 acres in a very rural farming area between Rochester and Syracuse.
The property has been in our family for over 60 years, I spent a great deal of time there when I was a child and teen.
I may have walked right past bebb willow a million times an not known what it was.

According to google bebb willow grows fast and then dies. I am still searching for a source of cuttings. It might be worth a try if I can find a source.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Attached is a photo of a Bebb Willow. It is an ugly little bush, now I understand why the nurseries do not have cuttings. Who would want that in there yard?

Like most willows is is a fast grower so planting some cuttings might work well ( if the deer don't eat them all)

bebb willlow.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I stand corrected Vanderstock! Good luck on your search -- keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
17 Posts
After a bit more research I uncovered some more facts. Bebb willow grows in almost every county in NY state including my brothers county. I would not be surprised if I find some on my next visit to him. There are 2 species of Salix which grow in NY state that are susceptible to the fungus. Bebb willow ( Salix Bebbiana) nicknamed Diamond willow for the diamond shape damage caused by a fungus The other is Salix Discolor nicknamed Pussy Willow.

That makes me wonder about the shape of the damage caused to it by the fungus... :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The thought occurred that if planting a sapling was out of the question due to limitations of either time and/or patience, maybe a felling was in order.
As destructive an act as some may find this, if a larger tree (say about 8' or so) were cut (or at least hard pruned) it may sucker from the roots with enough stored energy to cause accelerated growth.
A viable option, perhaps?

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's a good idea Steve but I would need access to one I could whack.. :) I live in south Florida and I'm pretty sure there is no diamond willow around here.

I plan on visiting my brother in the spring of 2015, my research is a bit early but it never hurts to check things out.

I see you are from NY, have you ever seen any Beeb willow growing in your area? There may very well be some on my brothers farm, up until a few weeks ago I had no idea such a plant even existed..

I did manage to find a source for containerized Beeb willow but they are not cheap. $1.50 for a ten ounce containerized plant ( out of stock), 8 bucks for a 1 gallon.

I have read they are very easy to grow from cuttings, that would be the way to go.

Here is a link to that site:

http://shop.plantsofthewild.com/SALIX-BEBBIANA-Bebbs-Willow-10-cubic-inch-10SABE.htm

If all else fails I could always plant some pussy willow, who knows where that might lead... ;)

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Know nothing about the plant but growing your own seems a long term project.Do you wnat it for the the pattern on the shank?

If you want to grow your own surely a fast growing plant would be better, such as hazel even that would take 6 years before you could harvest them providing of course the conditions are right .But once estblished it would provide a continual supply and it grows straight.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts