Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some limited success on my first two attempts. The first one, though, the wire wasn't stiff enough and it sagged. On the second attempt, the wire stayed in place but it was too small and I had to harvest the stick while I could still dig the wire out.

For this third try, I took some stiff fence wire and threaded it down a thin tube (it was tubing for a fish tank aerator pump). I then wound it tightly around a fiberglass temporary fence post about 1/4" in diameter. I slid the fence post out and the spiral wire held its shape nicely.

I trimmed all the small growth from my intended sapling (a young maple growing next to the house. It's in a shady area so it grew quite straight) then wound the wire/tube around the tree. I got the twist a bit too tight and had to undo it a bit, but I got it on there. Now it just has to cook for a few years.

First try
Wood Twig Gas Building material Rope
second try
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Wheel

Third try
Ecoregion Road surface Twig Branch Wood
Grass Twig Terrestrial plant Gas Plant

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm sure it will be a couple of years before there is a noticeable spiral forming.

On a side note, I was walking the pups this afternoon and I came across two of the second trial saplings I'd wired a few years ago. (Actually, the credit goes to Douggie. He'd gone off the trail to pee/sniff and I noticed that he had lifted his leg on one of them.) Didn't have the camera with me unfortunately. They're coming along very nicely.
Just behind them was a large group of maple saplings which will be wrapped sometime soon. Probably have to get more tank aerator tube, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts