Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was an exposed root I found walking in the woods one day. It is hemlock, which is of course a soft wood which I usually wouldn't use, but the shape was so perfect, I couldn't pass on it.

Decided to go with a turned nose crook style with a carved thistle on the turn. Coming along pretty good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Randy. I think the last time I worked on it was October/November. Just too cold in the shop. It's good to take it slow on carving for me since it still a skill I'm trying to get better at.

I sanded part of it and,for a soft wood, it is showing a fair bit of chatoyance. Maybe it's because it's a root instead of timber.

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a bit more carving on the handle the other day and got it glued to a shank this afternoon. Added a spacer of laminated 1/8" teak/oak/teak, a leftover scrap from the experimental end grain cane I did a while ago.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a bit more carving the day before yesterday and some final sanding. Then colored the thistle and gave it a coat of poly. Turned out really well. I am very happy with it. Some sanding of the first coat of poly and a couple more coats and it'll be done.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.