Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
I have a elk antler I want to mount to a hickory cane I carved from an axe handle. I have all the soft marrow dremeled out and some extra passages drilled for contact points. My question is the depth is only 3/4 inch I am trying to figure if it be strong enough with two metal rod epoxied in or should I use a metal putty? I can drill down into the wood as far as I need too. I was trying to think of maybe a leather wrap or paracord wrap for extra strength? Or some copper bent over it? Or will epoxy and rod be strong enough? Suggestions? The hole in antler is 1/2 x 2 x 3/4
835a2b480e4f2de75b2cad9064bc9382.jpg
5532ed5168ba83152c221298b72a6167.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I haven't used any of the putties so I don't know how well they stick two things together. I can see why you would want putty to fill the cavity though. One option would be regular epoxy with a filler like sawdust mixed in. The epoxy will still be able to flow into the cavities and around the fasteners unlike a putty that would have to be forced in. I would use threaded rods or rough up smooth ones to increase the mechanical bond on them. You have a large enough cavity and enough contact surface you don't need to worry about any kind of strap to hold things together.

It will be a neat cane when you're done. Please post a finished picture too.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I then did the same on the other side and drilled matching holes in the hickory. I figured Between the threaded rod and the screw heads with epoxy all around them they would never pull out. I also added a maple chuck to end of antler. All is left is the sculpting.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts