Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a few canes, Most were made for a specific person. All of them so far have been given away.
A friend has a retail store, and has asked if I could make some canes and walking sticks to sell.
Their store is just outside of Yosemite National Park, so they get a lot of hikers and tourists.
Not so much on hiking sticks or staffs, But I see canes have a weight limit printed on them, and decorator canes have some kind of disclaimer on them to the effect of " Not to be used as a medical device or ballance necessity".
It's making me feel a little uneasy about making them for sale.
I use my own canes, I'm 220 lbs and I would trust my weight on one.
Should I make a tag saying "they are made from natural products, and you should use your own best judgement about using one for support?"
What do you all think? DR

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have seen a lot of canes in Minnesota and never seen one with any type of disclaimer. Maybe try hitting a medical supply store and see if any of those aluminum adjustable jobs has a disclaimer.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
I've sold 40 of them through my Etsy site and I usually will put something in the description if I think it should be used more for balance issues than support if I think there is any doubt. I always put my weight on a stick before working on it (and unfortunately, it's considerably more than 220 lbs. Half again as much, in fact) to test it for strength. I did have one customer break the one I sold him, but I am 99.99999999999999999999% certain he did so by using it for purposes other than what was intended. (I even started a thread about it a while ago: Bear with me while I rant )

That said, it couldn't hurt to CYA by adding something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen a lot of canes in Minnesota and never seen one with any type of disclaimer. Maybe try hitting a medical supply store and see if any of those aluminum adjustable jobs has a disclaimer.
Those in medical supply stores don't have the disclaimer but do have weight limits. In a custom made natural wood cane I doubt anyone would test each one. Some of the factory produced wooden canes have a weight limit sticker on them. Mostly the bent crook canes. DR

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've sold 40 of them through my Etsy site and I usually will put something in the description if I think it should be used more for balance issues than support if I think there is any doubt. I always put my weight on a stick before working on it (and unfortunately, it's considerably more than 220 lbs. Half again as much, in fact) to test it for strength. I did have one customer break the one I sold him, but I am 99.99999999999999999999% certain he did so by using it for purposes other than what was intended. (I even started a thread about it a while ago: Bear with me while I rant )

That said, it couldn't hurt to CYA by adding something.
I remember reading that, Sorry it happened to you. I think you are right, I'll make a label with a disclaimer that these are not made for support of medical issues, and use your own best judgement on its proper use. Thanks again DR

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have also only given them away for years but now we have a new market place in town that wants me to set up a display of my sticks.
The owner says what ever I think they are worth I should double the price and tag them with a custom made string labels to make them appear more unique. I reckon if they don't sell it's no big deal.
The good thing is my daughter can make up the labels. ( TrendyPrintsCo) I'm thinking Leather.(y):giggle:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I am confident the canes I make safe. I am a large Pearson and make each one as though I would have to depend on it. However all the canes I sell have a card that states that “ This is a decretive cane not a medical approved device and no claim is made that it meets any medical standard! “

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I've sold around 100 I think. So far it hasn't been an issue. I've only had one person ask about weight ratings. I think most people who buy wooden canes understand that they're wood and they will break if you try hard enough. I also back my products 100%. if they break under reasonable circumstances I replace them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts