Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
welcome to the site

lots of people will envy the fact that you have a great source of raw material .

Everything gloops has said is true , you shouldn't have any trouble finding a home for the shanks you cut.

if you can try to save a straight shank coming out from the base of the tree and cut some of the main branch of with it. It will enable people to carve a one piece hiking pole/walking stick. This type of shank is always sought after and the English stick maker he will go well out of his way to get them..

You can always look for a natural thumb stick ,that's a shank with a y branch coming out at the top of the shank. Very popular here again you wouldn't have any trouble selling them on .

Apparently if hazel isn't coppiced regularly the tree will die off . Hazel will also make good hurdles ( fence panels ) its easy to weave just like basket work. There often used as a screen or fences .There strong and flexible and last a good few years without treatment.

Pity you the wrong side of the pond for me.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I cut hazel in the winter on a regular basis have some 150+ seasoning now , but I have never sealed them with anything and never had a problem . just store them in a cool airy place and leave them. Some people do seal them but I don't. just cut them a little longer than needed they should be fine .As long as there not thick over 1.5 inches they should be good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts