Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Glad to be a part of your forum.

I first discovered a passion for stickmaking 20 odd years ago when I was working as a ranger for the Wildlife Trust here in the UK. I used to travel around the shows and festivals making and selling them. One thing led to another and I found that, with bills to pay, I couldn't devote the time needed to the sticks so they sort of fell by the wayside.

But, business is taking care of itself now and I really miss the sticks! So, I'm taking it back up again and hope to get lots of inspiration from you good people.

All the best,

Nash.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Hi Nash and welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your work. Great group of stick makers on the forum from around the world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, CV.

From looking through the gallery, there's certainly some talented folk here. I'm afraid it'll take me a while to show you some of my own work, I need to get out to the woods to collect some sticks and get them seasoned first! It's been several years since I made one and my stock of seasoned blanks has ended up on the woodburner in that time.

I've got a long process ahead of me.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Check with cobalt. He may know of a seasoned stick suppliers you can use until you can get your own supply built. I am not sure what is a good price for you but I look at the site often. ( AllGoodIdeas.co.uk )

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the site from NW Indiana.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
welcome to the site.

There are quite a few stick suppliers on line ,but the one i recomend is on ebay called the woodsman.The quality of the shanks are good unifro, and 2 year seasoned .I used him a few times in the past,

He is a forester and harvest his own sticks usually hazel

But you should have a few good contacts working for the wild life trust

There is quite a lot of diffrent styles of stickmakers here ,which is good for everyone .but good hunting for sticks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the info, Cobalt.

To be honest, being out in the woods looking for the sticks is my favourite part of the process. I'm patient, I can wait!

In the meantime, I'm sure I'll be able to find some solid enough dead-standing wood to play around with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts