Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was led here by our esteemed colleague, CV3 (Randy) from other woodworking forums.
I've never had a need or interest in walking canes or sticks, other than when backpacking many years ago.
but - as age creeps upon us, our interests change with the seasons. I have been a woodworker and carver for most of my adult life and have had many "wood passions" over the years.
a few months ago, I started watching the ole YouTube on different styles of projects by amateurs and professionals alike.
back in the 1970s, I was dabbling in taxidermy and mounted several snakes of different varieties and enjoyed the artform.
when I saw Mike Stinnett's work, that really piqued my interest and am currently half way through a rattlesnake stick.
I've collected a few odd sticks over the years such as the thorny limb of a lemon tree, orange tree root, sea grape root, etc. and now it's time to do something with them.
looking forward to picking up some valuable pointers here.
thanks for having me !!
John
Hand Pneumatic tool Hand tool Drill Handheld power drill

WoodWorkingTalk
LumberJocks
WoodCarving Illustrated
RouterForum
DIYForum

·
Administrator
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Dw.
I have two walking sticks that were made by both of my grandfathers way back in the late 1800s.
I need to get them out and build a display rack so my grandkids can hang them on their walls when they get their own families.
as I noted, I've never really had an interest in making walking sticks, canes or staffs before. it's just that I've found a new medium work in and it looks a nice project item to give away to folks that would actually use them. (and cheap, too).
I'm a moderator on other VS forums and I hope to bring some of that support here.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hi John, Good to see you on here. this forum was very active fo a long time but down to just a few active members these days. Not as active as the WCI group. I would like to see it come back. A lot of good stick makers shared here. Your snake cane is looking good.
Randy

·
Administrator
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Randy.
as soon as I joined, I was surprised there was no Moderator but the site still ran pretty smooth.
I'm just gonna cruise around for awhile to get the feel of the site and ask a few questions.
I'm glad to be here !! and I thank all of you for having me.
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts