Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jerry. The subject of fighting sticks comes up every now and then. Try using the "search community" button at the top of the page for some past discussions.

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
Some interesting sticks there, Jerry. I might be able to get my hands on a nice bit of hornbeam come spring; ground is frozen right now so the root knob would be hard to get. It's a small tree growing at the back end of my horse pasture. At a guess, I'd say it was 10-15 feet tall, maybe 3" in diameter at the base, but those are really wild guesses.
Got literally tons of oak, as well, if you want to go that direction. I don't usually use it for sticks because of the weight and I seem to be allergic to the sawdust from it.

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
I usually harvest them with just my folding saw. I probe around the sapling with the blade and try to cut the roots about 6-8 inches from the base. The topsoil is really thin here, so no need for a shovel. Sometimes I'll pull or push the tree side to side a bit to see where the roots are by where the moss lifts up, then cut them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts