Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired
202 Posts
Hello folks,
n00b from LA here (don't hate me!)
Interested in Irish Fighting Sticks and MA in general.
I've got some blackthorn and hickory and rattan. Looknig for dogwood and locust sticks suitable to the task.
Here to learn about making them mostly and I suspect that I won't post much.
Hello!
Hey Jerry, glad to have you with us. if you have some sticks we would love to see them. Make ya self at home here.

·
Administrator
Retired
202 Posts
Jim, that twisted knob stick is COOL!
Thanks buddy, I have several twisted sticks, they are mainly what I look for when stick hunting.

This wasn't a root ball stick, it was where three branches came together. I haven't tried collecting a stick from the root. I really don't know how you fellows harvest the root ball sticks. Do you just dig them up, or cut around them with a shovel and pull them up or what?

The one in my avatar is actually two different woods. The top part is sassafras and the bottom half is grape vine.

I have some grape vine in the shop that is spalted, (spell) it must be at least 6 or 7 inches in diameter.

·
Administrator
Retired
202 Posts
I usually harvest them with just my folding saw. I probe around the sapling with the blade and try to cut the roots about 6-8 inches from the base. The topsoil is really thin here, so no need for a shovel. Sometimes I'll pull or push the tree side to side a bit to see where the roots are by where the moss lifts up, then cut them.
I really do appreciate that information, thanks a bunch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts