Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,
n00b from LA here (don't hate me!)
Interested in Irish Fighting Sticks and MA in general.
I've got some blackthorn and hickory and rattan. Looknig for dogwood and locust sticks suitable to the task.
Here to learn about making them mostly and I suspect that I won't post much.
Hello!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post photos in a day or so, everyone likes eye candy, right?
Any one of you fine folks sell green cut wood? Looking for cornus or hornbeam mostly but if you have american blackthorn or a grown hickory knob I's like to see it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From left to right, two cheap rattan canes, one hickory tool handle reshaped by me into a blackthorn like form. one Cold Steel brand plastic shillelagh, salvaged rattan trainer.
Wood Rectangle Gas Road surface Composite material

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My prize and my EDC. A genuine Irish Blackthorn stick from McCaffery Crafts. 39" and 12oz. Fast and light for Antrim Bata style Irish stick fighting.
Watch Wood Gesture Fixture Gas

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a turned hickory stick from Matto Forge Work, who I found on FB. 35" and 19oz. He sent it to me unfinished per my request.
Wood Door Road surface Grey Wood stain

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got plans to start harvesting my own sticks shortly.
Got my eye on some black locust, eucalyptus, pear, and firethorn.
I don't use oak, due to its tendency to shatter on impact.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some interesting sticks there, Jerry. I might be able to get my hands on a nice bit of hornbeam come spring; ground is frozen right now so the root knob would be hard to get. It's a small tree growing at the back end of my horse pasture. At a guess, I'd say it was 10-15 feet tall, maybe 3" in diameter at the base, but those are really wild guesses.
Got literally tons of oak, as well, if you want to go that direction. I don't usually use it for sticks because of the weight and I seem to be allergic to the sawdust from it.
I'd be very interested in this. Let me know how I can pay you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts