Walking Stick Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired
144 Posts
Thanks JJ, I appreciate that.

I really don't know but it looks like cherry in person.

·
Administrator
Retired
144 Posts
Jim, that twisted knob stick is COOL!
Thanks buddy, I have several twisted sticks, they are mainly what I look for when stick hunting.

This wasn't a root ball stick, it was where three branches came together. I haven't tried collecting a stick from the root. I really don't know how you fellows harvest the root ball sticks. Do you just dig them up, or cut around them with a shovel and pull them up or what?

The one in my avatar is actually two different woods. The top part is sassafras and the bottom half is grape vine.

I have some grape vine in the shop that is spalted, (spell) it must be at least 6 or 7 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I usually harvest them with just my folding saw. I probe around the sapling with the blade and try to cut the roots about 6-8 inches from the base. The topsoil is really thin here, so no need for a shovel. Sometimes I'll pull or push the tree side to side a bit to see where the roots are by where the moss lifts up, then cut them.

·
Administrator
Retired
144 Posts
I usually harvest them with just my folding saw. I probe around the sapling with the blade and try to cut the roots about 6-8 inches from the base. The topsoil is really thin here, so no need for a shovel. Sometimes I'll pull or push the tree side to side a bit to see where the roots are by where the moss lifts up, then cut them.
I really do appreciate that information, thanks a bunch.

·
Administrator
Retired
144 Posts
Those roots produce some really interesting wood sometimes.
I never thought about the roots until I joined this forum. I am really itching to give it a try. I got a new battery powered sawzall, just for sticks, I can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just got a new blackthorn stick from Germany last night. Its a monster!
Ill have some photos up Wednesday.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts