Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am from West Virginia but have lived in a Minneapolis, MN since 1972. I have been working with diamond willow for 35 years or so. Wood working is in my DNA. My father was a profession that taught engineering. He had a full shop of Delta tools that I wish he had not sold off. So as a freshman in college I built a cedar strip canoe that is in my garage. Came out quite well. I seem to specialize now in refinishing old guns. Guys bring me an abused gun and I will get her back to nice. Just renewed a Russian shotgun and was impressed at the craftsmanship. Quite old. I also am a knife builder. I happened onto this forum when I was looking for finishes for DW. Not for walking sticks. Someone wants a Scottish dagger with sheath. I have the blade done and am getting ready to distress it to make it look like a 150 years on earth. But the handle is taking some thought. Oak that has been in a bog for a long time is not going to happen. But I have a nice DW club downstairs that my friend saw. He asked if I could turn that into a handle. You bet I can. I need to get it darker than a any of the sticks I have made. When I do gun stocks, or any project, I heat the wood up in the oven to about 145 and then plunge in boiled linseed oil. Really flies into the wood. If it is a full stock I wait for summer and put it on a rack in the top of my garage. If any member has an idea for a darker finished look on DW I would like to know.

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mark. I have zero experience with diamond willow but there are a couple of other makers here who have. Hopefully one of them will chime in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One way to darken it is with a heat gun. Be careful not to char, but a nice brown would be easy enough to do. especially on something as small as knife scales. This should also harden the scales.
I also started with Gunstocks, But living in CA, the state has made it next to impossible to pick up old guns. [ The FFL fees add an extra $100 to any purchase] Good Luck DR

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are looking for that aged look, put them in the smoker next time you are slow cooking a Tri Tip or Brisket. be sure to put them on the far side out of direct heat, and let them bake at 350 for several hours. Then just a light scuff and oil them. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are looking for that aged look, put them in the smoker next time you are slow cooking a Tri Tip or Brisket. be sure to put them on the far side out of direct heat, and let them bake at 350 for several hours. Then just a light scuff and oil them. Good Luck DR
I like your idea DR. I have plenty of scrap. Maybe I will try a piece or two with aqua fortis. Who knows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts