Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I stumbled across this forum whist searching for info on stick straightening.
It seems like a very good and informative platform.

I live in Shantonagh, Co.Monaghan, Ireland.
The pandemic and subsequent lock-downs here saw me reviving an old 'off-on' sort of relationship with walking stick making.
I'm very much an amateur, even though I'm pretty long-in-the-tooth but, look forward to picking up a few pointers from some obviously very talented folk on this forum.

I've access to plenty of Fairy Thorn and some Blackthorn where I live as well as a variety of other woods such as Ash and Birch so quite well supplied with 'raw materials'.

I'm well into retirement and have a wee workshop that I spend quite a bit of time in.
It's not a wood-working shop though and more geared towards my motorcycling tinkering.

Toppie.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hello Toppie and welcome to the forum. There are a numbers of methods use for straightening sticks. Some build a steam box. Others use a heatgun. There are different jigs made and used to help in bending the sticks. If you google straightening walking sticks you will fine a good selection of videos on how to do it. This is Dave of Woodlansticks. I learnd his way
. If you google Woodlandsticks videos he has a number of hours of how to about stick makei. well worth the time to watch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Toppie and welcome to the forum. There are a numbers of methods use for straightening sticks.

Thanks for your reply.

The video you suggested was a bit of a revelation.
The 'Woodlandsticks' lad's in a different category to me.

I've actually rigged up a bit of a jig and had not too bad a result with just a 1kw hair dryer!
Maybe I'm over-thinking things....?
Pneumatic tool Wood Handheld power drill Engineering Gas
Wood Cylinder Steel casing pipe Vise Gas

It worked well enough to prompt me to buy a heat gun which arrived yesterday afternoon.
It made a big difference and I was pretty happy with a couple of test runs.

Hand Road surface Wood Asphalt Gesture
Tire White Hood Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
751 Posts
Welcome aboard, Toppie! You're right about Woodlandsticks, he does some really amazing sticks. He used to post here on the forum, but I haven't seen him for a few years.
Looks like your heat gun experiment worked very well.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts