Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Stick-makers,

I retired a couple years ago and am just starting out making walking sticks for a hobby. Up till now, my stick making has consisted of finding a good, straight stick, trimming the branches off it, and using it till it wore out, broke, or went missing. I once got as far as seasoning and stripping a nice blackgum stick with a right-angle bend in the top, but I managed to lose it in the woods this summer. Here's a pic of some ash sticks I collected last winter, plus a yellow birch from my relative's place that had been girdled by deer this summer. My cocker spaniel Gilley is wondering when we're going to get out and look for partridge! I'd love to graduate to 2-piece sticks with carved toppers, but for now, I'll be happy to make a few decent hiking staffs and knob sticks.

I have access to white ash, yellow and paper birch, red and sugar maple, American beech, hophorbeam (Ostrya), juneberry (Amelanchier). There's also dogwood and American hazel, but they seem to get shaded out before reaching walking stick size, though I've found a few nice ones. When I was in high school 25 miles west of here, we used to see plenty of American hornbeam (Carpinus), but I've yet to see any after 2 years in the local woods.

All the best!

Bill Dog Plant Grass Carnivore Fence

Dog Plant Grass Carnivore Fence

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for these excellent tips!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts