Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rad, most people don't realize that most horns get flimsy as they move away from the tip. there is a process where the horn is pressed/compressed into forms. It looks interesting, I haven't tried that yet.

Thumbsticks don't have to be bone/horn, they can also be just a fork in a saplying that has been smoothed a bit. I've also seen some nice burl thumb topppers as well as other hardwoods.

I can't be sure of why they aren't more popular in the US except to go back to my other statement, that most people in the US only use sticks/canes as utilitarian items. No going to market sticks. They aren't the art form they are over there. If they have seen one, they probably didn't recognize it for what it was. Thumbsticks are usually shorter than what a hiker would think to use or too tall for a cane. I like them, I think they are quite comfortable.

What you say is true, there are people who do want personalized and special items, but as a culture it isn't common. Most aren't willing to pay for these either. They choke at 60 bucks for a cane let a lone 125+ :) Thus the reason we see soo many wood spirit walking sticks on ebay or in stores is once you have the pattern down, you can knock them out quickly on found wood and keep costs low for the masses.. I have made a few specialized canes and sticks, but they aren't the staple. This is a topper I made a couple of years ago.

gallery_118_17_1710.jpg

·
Registered
419 Posts
We'll chalk it up to miscommunication ... Maybe that whiskey. :)
Yes, that is what I was saying, horn is made up of layers of material like fingernails. as it expands from the tip, as the layers spread out causing it to be softer. When they make thumb topers and crooks, the press the horn into forms to create what they want.

To your point of the american's you have experienced, I didn't say they wouldn't look or buy, I said a majority would not. People who understand a fine aged single malt and a nice custom market stick are not the majority (I know the difference of both :) )

My statement is that culturally, here, 90% of people don't walk around with canes or sticks for the pleasure of having a piece of art. And those that do, usually look towards americana/appalachia style that is in abundance and lower priced as a generality. It isn't the gentry of the US usually that profer canes/sticks. Yes obviously some do and that's great, but people aren't beating the doors down if you know what I mean :)

Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Watercolor is basically just pigmenting the wood a shade of color like inks, you can still see the grain patterns beneath. Depending on the amount of color I want, I use more or less water. I do use spray sealant and give it a few coats( usually polyeurethane) You do have to be careful not to smudge on the first pass, but it works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.