Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I am wondering why the thumb stick isnt so popular in the US? the bone carved thumb stick is popular in the Uk.
It would be interesting to hear views on this from this site whether from a carver or some one who just uses them.
this dam keyboard keys are still sticking i will have to change it
cheers
I've only seen them recently for the first time -- and that was on utube, someone from England was making them!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
just a sample of a buffalo horn thumb stick its been drilled in the centre to insert steel rod to attach to shank.The shank in the pic is ash but i will fit it to chestnut as it the bark has such a rich colour. use expoy resin glue or putty to fix it to shaft. I think this buffalo horn came from india
I do like it! I will have to give it a shot! The ones I've seen made on Utube were just hazel wood, no horn, and they were all one piece.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
JJireh: what's that topper made out of? I like it! I'm not much of a carver though -- I do more wood turning than I do carving. No matter how easy people say that it is -- you still have to have a special talent for that kind of carving! My hats off to you!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Well rad dont agree with you about horn being flimsy .It is not flimsy in any way if treated corectly .yes if you take all natural material out the centre it is thin like glass,but its not the way to work horn.
I also make thumb sticks with mahogany an rosewood,but still think horn makes the best one.
As for people not paying for quality i find thats not true,like single malt whisky if you buy a cheap , one not so clever, but try over15years and the differance is amazing.
Dont think it is a culture thing as you say,think that americans are very responsive to most things, the americans i have come across have always been very friendly polite and look into things before responding and would consider alternatives if offered to them.,But you would have to look into the market there i do know that a lot of americans go wild fowl hunting so things like ducks and drake head toppers would probaly go down well along with wading sticks.
But i do like the dog and the origInal checker work on the shank gives individuality and that with quality will sell
the size of thumb sticks oftern are slightly smaller normally they are the size from floor to the min .hieght you hve your arm held at 90 degreesand the armpit
You could pick up a buffalo thumb topper for 10$ so price shouldnt be a issue and once there polished set against a white boner spacer on a chestnut shank with the bark left on look good
All the same good to have reponse in any discussion

many thanks
Your talking to the wrong person! I wasn't the one who said they were a little flimsy -- I think you meant to respond to JJireh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.