Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do quite a bit of cane making with a wood lathe (Jet 1642 2horse 240 volt)--- any one else use a lathe?
Once turned, I use a variety of toppers -- wood, antique door knobs, brass, elk antler, telegraph insulators, hames an the like. Let me hear what you do! And I know --- you want to see pictures! But those will have to wait -- my shop is 5 hours away and I only get there every couple of weeks. Next time I'm there I will take a lot of pictures; most of my work is left at our home in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I don't have one but it's a tool I've used in the past when I was a younger lad in school. I've often thought

of picking one up when I get into a bigger shop.

I'm curious about the telegraph insulators? What do you do with them?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have one but it's a tool I've used in the past when I was a younger lad in school. I've often thought
of picking one up when I get into a bigger shop.
I'm curious about the telegraph insulators? What do you do with them?
I use the insulators as cane toppers -- some of them are plain clear glass and some are clear green glass.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
That's really cool. Would you be able to take a couple of pictures is some of them?
I'd love to see how you've incorporated them. :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really cool. Would you be able to take a couple of pictures is some of them?
I'd love to see how you've incorporated them. :)
I will, but it may be a few weeks -- most of my sticks are at my workshop which is about 5 hours away. We are only able to get there every 2 or 3 weeks! We built our retirement home on a 51 acre farm, with lots of woods -- eventually we will be there all the time, but not yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rad, I use a lathe for many of my cane projects. I've got a craftsman which is an upgrade from what I started with but not nearly the lathe I want. I would really love to have a nice Jet 1642 with variable speed. I've got it in my amazon wish list and I keep dropping hints to the significant other.

Look at my website at www.lewca.com if you want to see a few that I've done. I haven't really made any with the kind of toppers you mentioned but I recently had a fellow ask me if I would make him one using an old glass doorknob he has. I told him to bring it by and I'd fix him up.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rad, I use a lathe for many of my cane projects. I've got a craftsman which is an upgrade from what I started with but not nearly the lathe I want. I would really love to have a nice Jet 1642 with variable speed. I've got it in my amazon wish list and I keep dropping hints to the significant other.

Look at my website at www.lewca.com if you want to see a few that I've done. I haven't really made any with the kind of toppers you mentioned but I recently had a fellow ask me if I would make him one using an old glass doorknob he has. I told him to bring it by and I'd fix him up.
Nice website! I like your inlay work! And i really like the snake!! The old doorknobs are fun, and they look good. Good luck on the lathe, I really enjoy mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts