Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sickmaking takes many different forms and styles. It is makeing canes a walking sticks to exact standard to what ever your imagination can invision. People like to stay with mothernature, useing only found wood with natural shapes to combining bone , horn. or steel with a staff. And those of use who carve on all of them.There are a number of books out there and youtubes on stick making.There are a number of Face Book groups on sticks. Here are 6 Books all have good patterns and instructions.

Musical instrument Wood Art Font Gold
Publication Organism Wood Font Art

Product Human body Jaw Organism Bird

·
Administrator
133 Posts
I have a couple of the Carving Spirits books, but, I just can't get a grip on carving faces.
I have to just dedicate some time and sit down and commit myself to one project and practice more.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple of the Carving Spirits books, but, I just can't get a grip on carving faces.
I have to just dedicate some time and sit down and commit myself to one project and practice more.
Faces take some work. In some ways it is not a lot different than laying out a sign. Eye brow and up is one section, eye brow to the bottom of the nose if the middle with eyes and nose and the bottom of the nose down is the mouth beard or chin. You can lay those out in equal sections to start. On a stick it could be 1 inch = top of the hair to the eye browand & bridge of the nose. 1 inch= eyes to the bottem of the nose. 1 inch = mouth to the bottom of the chin if no beard. like dividing a sign in to 3rds. This can very but the 3 equal sections are a good way to start on a face. I am a fan of dvds. you can start and stop the as needed to fallow the cuts. Mark Gargac has some good ones and he is a good instrutor. https://www.gargacsoriginals.com/new-products. Also this clear grid is used by quilters and is great for checking symmetry as you are carving.
Wood Artifact Creative arts Art Sculpture

Beard Art Facial hair Font Moustache

·
Administrator
Retired
202 Posts
Randy, do you quilt also?

I have one book on carving spirit faces but can't remember who it is by. It does make it fairly simple, well kinda, the eyes are what is hard for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.