Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW I live in South Kansas and yes there are limbs and branches to be found on the southern plains good enough to craft high quality hiking sticks from a variety of trees. The challenge is due to the constant high winds is finding them straight enough for good use!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW I live in South Kansas and yes there are limbs and branches to be found on the southern plains good enough to craft high quality hiking sticks from a variety of trees. The challenge is due to the constant high winds is finding them straight enough for good use!
Cane I made for recovery before cancer surgery

Attachments

·
Registered
Retired
32 Posts
Sorry I am late to the party, welcome aboard valky, we are glad to have another stick maker with us. I like those sticks, you did a great job on them. Heck, walking/hiking sticks don't all need to be straight, some with crooks look really nice also. Thanks for sharing some of your sticks with us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
40 years ago I made a hiking stick for my brother-in-law who had moved to Idaho from Kansas to work in the salmon hatcheries. He never had the chance to do much hiking during his career so it just leaned up against the wall by the back door for decades. I visited them many times over the years and there it was at the door waiting. After He and my sister retired they moved to Arizona and he finally took hold of it and ventured out on some desert hiking trails!
Wood Twig Hardwood Metal Art

1 - 12 of 12 Posts