Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More carving underway

carving a gothic style imp been looking fore some mahogany to carve it in havnt any at hand ,so back to lime wood ,had to glue and dowel another peic to the block of lime not quite wide enough

see what it turns out like .Already had modify the drawing several times its a good 5inches tall .

Gesture Art Creative arts Wall Chest

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sure looks painful when i put a 8mm threaded rod in place lol

He is the one who looks esponsible for the toilet rolls in rads supermarket lol

some of my keys are sticking on the keyboard it keeps missing letters ? dont know how to cure it its getting to the piont when i will take it to the workshop and repair it with the biggest heavest hammer i can find

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Cobalt, we had a sticky key issue here once. G-son suggested taking compressed air to the keys. I took it out to the shop, fired up the air compressor and blasted it with the air gun attachment. Knock would it's worked so far. G- son said that's fine G-pa but I was thinking more in tune with the cans of air they sell at Office Depot for said purpose. :unsure:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah, the little spray cans are more appropriate. In the "olden" days of computers, one of my jobs was to open up keyboards once a year, and clear the crud out of them. Surprising how gummy dried coffee w. cream can be.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A wee bit more do to the imp modifying it as i go along .Its about in the round still some undercutting to do before i start adding detail

so just a update where i am at

1is basic idea, 2 crude basic features , 3 the fittment ready to attach when completed

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a lot happeninh here ? every one on hols?

just a bit of detail added to the interchangable topper facial details is nearly there, most difficult parts to do yet , hands and feet .Then add the finishing details

Jaw Art Fawn Sculpture Clay

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Imp is progressing nicely. Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
969 Posts
The carving is coming along nicely.

Not a lot happeninh here ? every one on hols?

just a bit of detail added to the interchangable topper facial details is nearly there, most difficult parts to do yet , hands and feet .Then add the finishing details

attachicon.gif
005.JPG
I'm working an 4 different things, with a small bit of progress on 2 or 3 each day. Nothing really to show. I'm doing a small experiment. I've taken an excess piece of sycamore, and sanded flat 2 strips on opposite sides. One I'm finishing by sanding to 1200 grit, and layering teak oil. The other, I'm making a first attempt at French polish. 'Bout half way thru the test. At present, the oil finish is comparable, and much easier to do. But from what I've seen, a French polish produces the finest luster.

Also, its time to get the yard in shape, and the garden planted, so some of my time is used on that.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Struggeling to get the feet and hands drawn its very small trying to put to much detail in

I have had a go at french polishing i dont think i did a great job on it but it wasnt bad for a 1st attempt . Give a good deal of satisfaction when it works

Think it must be in my blood my great grandfarther and grandfather where cabinet makers and french polishers .People today dont have those skills as it wasnt that long ago when people made most of there own furniture

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
a wee bit more done slow job, near final shape trying out some eyes? mayby a bit big?

hands are as good as i can get them ,just feet to do final rub down then burnish it .mayby paint it

Think i made the classic mistake trying to get to much detail

Food Wood Natural material Gesture Creative arts Gesture Wood Creative arts Art Thumb Creative arts Wood Sculpture Fawn Art Toy Sculpture Jaw Statue Gesture

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope you follow this up with some pics. interested to see result .Its a time consuming process but should be good .Like the idea of french polishing some of the toppers ?

Keep a record of it ,its bound to look better then just varnishing.

I'm working an 4 different things, with a small bit of progress on 2 or 3 each day. Nothing really to show. I'm doing a small experiment. I've taken an excess piece of sycamore, and sanded flat 2 strips on opposite sides. One I'm finishing by sanding to 1200 grit, and layering teak oil. The other, I'm making a first attempt at French polish. 'Bout half way thru the test. At present, the oil finish is comparable, and much easier to do. But from what I've seen, a French polish produces the finest luster.

Also, its time to get the yard in shape, and the garden planted, so some of my time is used on that.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Imp is looking good Cobalt. I agree with you, the eyes are a tad big. Maybe next size down?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats convinced me MJC4 ,not sure if i will use glass eyes may fill them in and just give the whole thing a limestone or granite finish in paint? will sit on it before i decide

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hows the french polishing coming along its worth a thread on its own be interested to see results .Always wanted to achieve a mirror like finish usint it mayby one day.

But post som pics i know it can be a slow time consuming job

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No carving now for a week unusual for me ,been to busy ,a few sketches done have drawn a rhino not sure how it would sit on a shank , was hoping to carve some bone for its horns. need to have a word with the butcher to see if i can get some small pieces? anyone tried carving it? The pieces i have tried are very hard but seem to polish well.but that was camel bone.which had been turned on a lathe

done some drawings of tweedle dee and dum for a thumb stick but need some good photos from the origanal illustrations.

got some drawing s done of a naked girl scale isnt right yet also Laruel and Hardy determind to do at lest one thunb stick with some on.and all will be for interchangable toppers.saves buying shanks.As my shanks wont be ready to use for another 8 mths.

Only have 5-6 left mostly ash .

It looks like i can strip the bark of some hawthorn shanks now had them for a year never stripped a shank yet think its going to be a slow job.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Wiating for some fine burrs to get here before i finish the imp

but in the meantime started another project a vikings head didnt know i should carve it as a ships brow or not mayby i will do both

Carved from a off cut of cherry using or trying to use part of a branch from the main trunk its diificult to carve very knotty

Hoping to get another interchangable topper for my wife and my use from it. and will use a mixture of stain and paint to finish it i hope .I am planning just to use a colour wash on its face and staing the rest for contrast if it dosnt work then firewood

trying to show the planning and progression of it very badly i might add

considering making it a figurehaed of a viking ship but the will have to wait for some new drawings. Saw something like this somewhere and liked the design so its based on that image

Wood Art Organism Tree Trunk Joint Vertebrate Human body Jaw Mammal Vertebrate Human body Jaw Wood Mammal Head Vertebrate Human body Jaw Mammal

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking around for a transparent colour for the above topper .or ad a colour to the varnish to make the face stand out as i just want the grain of the cherry to shown through yet highlight the face when complete ,

I use a water based varnish .I have tried adding different paint to varnish but found the colour pigments seperated when mixed . I was just after a hint of colour for the face and beard when complete other than that try waterproof ink? to see the effect just dont want the ink to bleed into other parts of the carving..

I realise many of the products over there have different brand names but the product descriptions will be the same. anyone tried this?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts