Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Since having to use a cane to ambulate from aged 16 onwards, I've tried a lot of kinds of sticks. One thing I haven't found is the perfect rubber tip, and I am wondering if it exists.

To be fair, most of the ones I've had that come on the sticks or that I've tried have been perfectly fine or even very good. In fact, I've rarely even had one wear out after years of use. So it is clear there are some great quality tips out there. Most are inexpensive, too.

The problem is... I've yet to find one that is truly a complete non-slip that will guard against all falls. Granted, I know there are no guarantees in life. But over the years, I've had to have constant, low-grade worry about surfaces like tile, marble, or anything slippery. Especially coming in out of the rain (I do dry the tips as much as possible).

Unfortunately, it's a 50-50 if the cane will slip out from under me on these surfaces, and I encounter them with relative frequency. I'm still relatively young, but as I age, falls will become an increasing concern for me as they could be more damaging.

The only tip I've found over the years has been something with "Rain" in the title (I can try to look it up) and it has almost never slipped even coming in out of the rain. But they are one size only, don't fit all of my canes, and I think I had to pay about $25 just for one of them. I suppose it is relatively little for peace of mind, but I can't afford to outfit multiple canes, plus the size issue. And even still, it isn't a guarantee against falls, just seems to be much better.

I know many of you make sticks for hiking and balance rather than full support, which is why I decided to ask in the cane forum specifically. I've mostly accepted that falls are just going to be a constant part of life... but I'm wondering if it has to be that way.

Anytime I go someplace with slippery flooring options, I'm concerned with every step I take, and that is a bit stressful. I recently went on a small vacation, and the whole area from the room down to the common areas had flooring that was hugely problematic for me the whole way. Fortunately, I only fell a few times.

Can I do anything to make rubber grippier, or is there a product I'm missing out on? I fell again today, in my home, because my kitchen has flooring that can be slippery. The ironic thing is, it's always the cane slipping out from under me rather than my darn feet. I'm not sure if this issue can be eliminated entirely. I've bought and tried several kinds of tips. But I'm only in my 30s now, and there are a lot of falls in my future, I think.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think it is kind of a trade off slip resistance vs. durability. Soft rubber will give a lot more slip resistance (like sneakers, for example) but they will wear out faster. Hard rubber will last but is slipperier.

I had to wear slip resistant shoes at my old job (a grocery store). They were great on the sales floor, but when I had to work in the freezer, the rubber got hard and I'd slide around like I had ice skates on.

The one with "rain" wasn't the Tornado Gel Rain Tip was it? I just looked at their site and they say they now have 3 sizes and are about $17

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is kind of a trade off slip resistance vs. durability. Soft rubber will give a lot more slip resistance (like sneakers, for example) but they will wear out faster. Hard rubber will last but is slipperier.

I had to wear slip resistant shoes at my old job (a grocery store). They were great on the sales floor, but when I had to work in the freezer, the rubber got hard and I'd slide around like I had ice skates on.

The one with "rain" wasn't the Tornado Gel Rain Tip was it? I just looked at their site and they say they now have 3 sizes and are about $17

It's definitely very close to those, and I know those ones but I'd forgotten to try them. I should look into those.

I know what you mean; I've got some harder and softer rubber ones on various canes. They both work pretty well but it's like you say, trade-offs. That said, even the softer ones work out okay for me. The only ones that wore out pretty fast were a very soft, thin version I had on the medical-type canes I used to use when I first starting using canes. Those would get holes probably after a month or two.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hi Blackstaff, This is the best tip I have found but they are expensive. I would not have bought the first pair becouse of the price. but my wife saw then and bought the first ones. I live in a very wet climate We have had over a foot of rain this month. I have neen using this tip for about a 3 years. I am very pleased with them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Blackstaff, This is the best tip I have found but they are expensive. I would not have bought the first pair becouse of the price. but my wife saw then and bought the first ones. I live in a very wet climate We have had over a foot of rain this month. I have neen using this tip for about a 3 years. I am very pleased with them.
Thanks very much for the recommendation!

These are the ones I was referring to in my initial post actually! Not sure why I thought they were called "rain" something, as that doesn't appear in the name of the product. But yep, these are it. I have just the one for now and like you, find them a bit pricey (but it has been a lifesaver too)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts