Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all use tools in making our sticks, for sanding, drilling, sawing and of course the Dremel and our knives for various purposes.
Since the early age of 16 my daily carry knife was a Buck 307 (1) but in retirement, as my left hand went south I needed
a knife on my belt and not in my pocket so I moved to the Case M3 FINN (2) with a leather sheath. Once I took up the
hobby of stick making I turned to the Boker 4 blade Congress (3) for doing some of the detail work and a Boker hawkbill (4) and a Marttiini Arctic carving knife (5) for stripping bark. I also kept a Mercator 55 (6) above the workbench in the shop for junk work since it only cost $20 and is as sturdy and sharp as they come. Do you have a special knife you use for assisting in making your sticks?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I started out using X-Acto tools and over the years mover up. You can see the basic palm tools and knives I use laid out on my stick carving jig. I have a Henkle pocket knife I carry for carving on the road. you can see the blades were reworked for carving. I have done a fair number of wood spirits on sticks with it while camping. I did not rework the blades. The knife was a gift from my wife. and she found some one who re worked knife.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Cuisine Flooring

Natural material Blade Composite material Knife Wood

·
Administrator
132 Posts
My first Knife and Project:
just by "happenstance", at 8 years old, I had an uncle that gave me his pocket knife after he snapped the blade off. Of course, he told me to "be careful" with it. I was just playing around with it on a piece of soft pine and my mother drew a simple flower on it and showed me how to make the stop cuts around the edge then remove the background. I cut my thumb just enough to bleed and while getting a Band Aid, my mother cut the toungue out of an old leather shoe and sewed a thumb guard on her old Singer for me. . . . from that day on, I was HOOKED on carving !!! So if anyone wants to practice carving, this would be a nice entry level piece to get started.
The knife and flower were very much like these two examples.
Glasses Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle Beige

Petal Plant Circle Art Fashion accessory

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most of my life I have carried a Congress, or a Stockman folder. I have only taken up wood carving since I retired. But I have a few old folders that I may try reshaping. That's a great idea for an otherwise retired knife!
I mostly use the tools I used for inletting gunstocks for my carving, But I did add a couple new knifes. My favorite is a knife made by a local carver from a blade that cut the wood boxes that fruit comes in. His day job was making boxes.
I also like the vise idea. I have seen one other that was made from a low saw horse. It had a rope that pulled down into a fork and a pedal to tighten the rope.
I'll have to try again to get a pic from my phone to the computer. DR

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went into my local Walmart today with my fixed blade Case FINN sheath knife on my belt since after having surgery on my thumb.
Right now there's no way I can open a pocket knife. The good news is no employee ever approached me and no one complained for me having it in my open possession. Tomorrow I will try my Grohmann 8 1/2" on my belt and see if that goes just as well.
Once again I emphasize a knife is an everyday tool for us but is considered by some as a weapon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts