Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a couple I made in the past on my lathe. We are in Amish Country so the Hame toppers are very popular (at least with the tourists) But I like them too! They are really hefty!!

Wood Table Material property Hardwood Wood stain

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Since we had only one horse when I was a kid, and it was strictly for rounding up the cattle, I had to look up " hame." And so, I learned something today!

Those look outstanding!

I didn't know that the Amish had their own version of a shillelagh. ????

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since we had only one horse when I was a kid, and it was strictly for rounding up the cattle, I had to look up " hame." And so, I learned something today!
Those look outstanding!
I didn't know that the Amish had their own version of a shillelagh.
Thank you! And I'm laughing! I doubt that the Amish would call them shillelagh -- and I doubt very much that you would ever see an Amish man actually Carry one of these, too flashy! But, there are a lot of hames available in this part of the country -- and as I said the tourist crowd like these kind of things. When I make a stick, I like to feel the heft in my hands, I'm not sure why -- it's probably something primal!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice shapes, I like them a lot. After a few years of use, I'm sure the get a cool patina. I wonder if you 'faked' a patina if they would sell better or as much...hmm

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice shapes, I like them a lot. After a few years of use, I'm sure the get a cool patina. I wonder if you 'faked' a patina if they would sell better or as much...hmm
Thank you! I'm not sure about faking a patina -- actually, you can get old hames with the "real" patina from use, cheaper than the new ones. I don't sell, although I have had offers, I usually give them or keep them -- maybe One day in my retirement I'll start to sell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts