Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking for very hard rubber foot for my walking cane. it is 7/8" diameter. I have a lot of difficulty finding this, all the ones I tried were soft, more for traction. The cane is for self defense also, I need a really hard rubber foot.

Thanks

·
Administrator
153 Posts
welcome to the forum, Alan - do you have your cane made yet ? photos would be nice to see.
when it could be used for "self defense" how would it be used by using the foot of the cane and how would a very hard food make a difference of the standard slip-on rubber foot ?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I have not seen a 7/8th" metal cane ferrule. There at some 1" .If you cang taper the tip to 3/4" there is a large selection. and as a self-defence cane the taperd tip may be more effective. lee valley has a nice brass ferrule tip with a screw on small rubber botton tip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome to the forum, Alan - do you have your cane made yet ? photos would be nice to see.
when it could be used for "self defense" how would it be used by using the foot of the cane and how would a very hard food make a difference of the standard slip-on rubber foot ?
Thanks

I don't "make" cane per say, I modify canes I bought. To me, they are weapons for self defense. I looked at some threads here, seems like you guys make your cane pretty and unique. I am doing the totally opposite. I take canes that are meant to be weapon and make them look ordinary and cheap so they don't stand out at all. Here are my collection a few months ago. I since have more:
Musical instrument Wood Font Hardwood Garden tool

I don't have any wood cane, wood is not strong enough to take a beating. I had one wood cane, I test it on my heavy kicking bag, it did NOT last one minute before it cracked into 2 pieces. My main cane is United Cutlery Night Watchman:
United Cutlery 39" Adjustable Walking Black Molded Nylon Shaft Cane 3129 760729312968 | eBay

This is fiber filled Nylon. It has a sharp hook at the end, I cut it off and make it look innocent as shown below, left is is how they look new, right side show 3 canes after I cut off the sharp tip:
Font Parallel Symbol
Chair Wood Gas Hardwood Rectangle

Then I have the Cold Steel City cane that looks very expensive with a silver knob,
Cold Steel City Stick Walking Stick 37.6" Overall Length, Aluminum Head - 91STA 705442009139 | eBay
I replaced with a cheap looking handle":
Golf Audio equipment Font Titanium Metal
Street light Door Wood Metal Flooring

I used to use Rattan cane It was not good looking(shown on left), I stripped and re-stained to make it milder looking.
Wood Art Walking stick Font Metal
Wood Floor Line Flooring Hardwood

These are canes that can take a beating. I don't use the Cold Steel and the Rattan since I change to striking with both hands. I use the United Cultery that is 20oz cutting to 30" long so I can hit much harder. The Cold Steel is only about 13oz and the rattan are also 13oz or so. Those are good for single hand striking.

The United Cutlery came with a very hard foot, it's not even that good for traction. As I practice, I got stronger. First, I did not even use the foot to reduce the weight, Stupid me, dumped the foot away. Now, I am short of foot. I tried contact United Cutlery, they don't have spare. I tried a few, total waste of money.

I don't want to use spike, it will ruin the floor, also, it's likely illegal and draw attention. I just want one that looks like an ordinary rubber foot like in the picture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I can only suggest you check with cool steel they may have replacement tips. I do not no of any product that like what your asking about. Fiber glass canes, I would think could be taperd with a bench sander for cane farrule with a scew on rubber tip.
I know it's hard to find, I've been searching for months already. I contacted United Cutlery( who made this cane) and they don't have spare. I just contacted them again asking if the cane is made by some company in China that I can contact them directly. I think the original cane came with PLASTIC foot instead rubber foot. It doesn't have much traction, just hard. I even look for plastic foot already.

Coming here is really the last resort. As you can see that I am not a cane maker. I do have a whole shop in my garage, but not for wood and carpentry. I am not sure it is any easier what I do compare to making the whole cane. Things are very critical for self defense in a very different way. I have my share of staining, paint stripping, making a custom handle and all that. When all the wood canes are being ruled out because it won't stand up to abuse, things really gets hard.

·
Administrator
153 Posts
well, Alan. As you can see, this forum is mostly old retired guys that make and collect wooden canes and sticks just for fun and we aren't really into using the items we make for self defense. At our ages, the smartest thing we can do is hand over the money, fake a heart attack and lay down and play dead. we are not in the physical realm to fight back to the death with some kind of Asian flare of swinging a stick around. As you can tell, we have never had this question posed to us and the best thing we can come up with is an adjusting foot to a chair.
this may be an opportunity for you to custom design the item you need and have someone make it for you - this would not only solve your problem but maybe open a market for you to provide your finished products in a timely manner.
if you could just draw an image of what you are looking for and how it will be affixed to the cane, it may stir some creative juices in some of us old (more seasoned) folks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, Alan. As you can see, this forum is mostly old retired guys that make and collect wooden canes and sticks just for fun and we aren't really into using the items we make for self defense. At our ages, the smartest thing we can do is hand over the money, fake a heart attack and lay down and play dead. we are not in the physical realm to fight back to the death with some kind of Asian flare of swinging a stick around. As you can tell, we have never had this question posed to us and the best thing we can come up with is an adjusting foot to a chair.
this may be an opportunity for you to custom design the item you need and have someone make it for you - this would not only solve your problem but maybe open a market for you to provide your finished products in a timely manner.
if you could just draw an image of what you are looking for and how it will be affixed to the cane, it may stir some creative juices in some of us old (more seasoned) folks.
Thanks

I thought I just run by you guys as I have no luck in martial arts forum. It is just a simple foot like everything on the market, I just want to find one that is hard. Just something you push onto the end of the stick. There is no requirement how it looks as long as it's hard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am not a young kid, I am 68 going to be 69 soon. I just refuse to give in to the age. My mother was in a wheel chair my age, I determine NOT to be like her. I work out with weights and kick boxing, I refuse to be at the mercy at other people. I am a Chinese, seeing all the attacks on older Chinese lately, I picked up stick fight with a cane. Only way to get respect is when the opponent is on his back on the ground. I am doing weight training for my muscle and bones and kick boxing/stick fight to defend myself. I am not trying to get people to work out like me, just how I feel and what I am doing. This is videos I recorded a few months back, I moved on quite a bit since. I just don't have any newer recordings on stick fight practice.

I still doing pushups with 60lbs weight jacket since I cannot go to the gym:

I have no plan to stop, I expect to do it as long as I live. Working out gets rid of a lot of pain on my knees, foot, back and neck for me. BUT, this is just my own experience, I am NOT trying to advice others to do this.

Thanks for your time. I have no luck with other forums, I thought I post it here to try my luck.

·
Administrator
153 Posts
wow - keep up the good work !
yes, the increasing attacks on the Asian population is a genuine problem and cause for concern and preparation. you are definitely an inspiration to keep in good health.
I have a hiking buddy that is 11 years older than me and he is 3rd degree black belt, whatever that is.
this is me and him backpacking in the Great Smokies a few years ago. I was 60 and he was 71. we covered quite a few miles on a 5 day hike and sometimes I had to double-step to keep up with him. I am 73 now and I still want to get back into the hiking world.
Footwear Photograph Plant Shorts Tree

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wow - keep up the good work !
yes, the increasing attacks on the Asian population is a genuine problem and cause for concern and preparation. you are definitely an inspiration to keep in good health.
I have a hiking buddy that is 11 years older than me and he is 3rd degree black belt, whatever that is.
this is me and him backpacking in the Great Smokies a few years ago. I was 60 and he was 71. we covered quite a few miles on a 5 day hike and sometimes I had to double-step to keep up with him. I am 73 now and I still want to get back into the hiking world.
View attachment 28065
Keep staying active, my experience is exercise fixes a lot of ache and pain. I would have been disabled if not for exercise. I had severe back and neck problems when I was in the 30s, neck from car accident and back from all the kicks in Tae Kwon Do I practiced at the time. In 1986, I had times I could not stand for 2 minutes without tingling sensation going all the way down to my toes. I went through everything you can name short of surgery. finally the doctor in St. Mary Spine Center( one that operated on Joe Montana) suggested me to go to a PT with weights, that literally saved my life. I slowly work my way back. I still kept doing weight training since that time in the 80s. I even started doing kick boxing at home on the heavy kicking bags as aerobics. It was a rough road, but I keep at it, never stopped.

My legs are my stronger part of the body, I never really work them that hard. I never had any problem.....that is until when I just turned 65. One day, I walked down the stair, my knee buckled, I almost fell down the stairs. I started to have knee and foot problem. funny I never injured my legs, I just don't exercise them as much as I am strong on my legs. That's the parts that gave me problem!!! I do a lot more work on upper body, everything is still ok!!!

Since then, I put more effort on my legs doing squats, every once a week, I double step(two steps at a time) up and down to the 2nd floor 18 times non stop. My knees and foot got better since.

Early this year, because of the attacks on older Chinese, I picked up stick fight using a cane. I work on a lot of footwork(not in the video shown). That involve more the legs. All my aches and pains disappeared!!!

I am not trying to tell anyone to do what I am doing. I am not a doctor. This is just my journey of life. I just believe the more active one is, the better it is.

Don't think that I like exercise, I don't, not at all. I dreaded everyday doing exercise. Just the alternative is much worst. I usually take two weeks off during Christmas, one year, I got a flu right after the two weeks off, I could not work out. My back got so bad I thought I had it this time, it's time for surgery. Then I recovered from the flu and went back to the gym. One week later, it's all good, back to normal self!!! I cannot stop working out!!!

·
Administrator
153 Posts
thank you Alan for sharing your journey with us and explaining your use of the walking canes. your designs and reasonings are far, far over the top than what we do. but, your ideas could provide some eyesight into incorporating some safety features into the canes that we take into public with us.
hopefully, none of us will ever have to use our sticks or canes in a defensive situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

I am looking for very hard rubber foot for my walking cane. it is 7/8" diameter. I have a lot of difficulty finding this, all the ones I tried were soft, more for traction. The cane is for self defense also, I need a really hard rubber foot.

Thanks
Look for crutch replacement tips at a drug store, they are harder than chair tips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.