Walking Stick Forum banner

Make a Twisted Stick?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Ducati250Single 
#1 ·
I've been thinking. If I took some heavy fence wire, the stuff they use to make brace posts; I could wrap it around a young sapling of my choice and wait a coule of years. What do you think?

#4 ·
If you have the space and time there's no reason not to. I was watching a British stickmaker on youtube a few days ago and he recommended doing just that.

You can also train a branch along the ground to send up suckers and get one piece sticks with handles. There are a lot of ways to play if you're growing your own.

Rodney

#6 ·
I too have read from several sources that one can force a twist onto a stick. No need to search around for something that by chance had a vine shaping it .

I wonder if a tree could respond to 2 wires wrapped in opposite directions and at different intervals. Never seen that in nature.

#7 ·
If you have the space and time there's no reason not to. I was watching a British stickmaker on youtube a few days ago and he recommended doing just that.

You can also train a branch along the ground to send up suckers and get one piece sticks with handles. There are a lot of ways to play if you're growing your own.

Rodney
Rodney, I saw the same video and it seems to me that it would work quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.