Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I like using the viniger and steel wool stain. The color never seem to be the same. It will very with the cemical make up of the wood. There are a number of you tubes on it. I have had it come out number of different grays and once it was a deep blue gray.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The vinegar and steel wool works with the tannins in the wood to produce the color. Oak will give you a black color. Leather workers use it to produce a black color on leather.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can spray your wood with black tea to add more tannins. The more you add the darker the chemical reaction. Add enough it turns black.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a leatherworker at the keen hobbyist level, I have experience in using the above vinegar and steel wool 'dye'. It's properly called vinegaroon or simply abbreviated to 'roon and everything said so far is absolutely bang on. I tested a batch recently on a natural undyed offcut and got a very dark navy blue but after painting a strong tea solution on an identical piece, it was a very definite and strong black. It changes the colour at a chemical level and not as a dye-type colourant. When working with leather, this is a real boon as it means it's much less messy, doesn't require the use of gloves and is entirely natural. I used this current batch to colour a leather slip-case that I made for one of my daughter's pens and from now on, anytime I need leather to turn black, I will most certainly not be using conventional dye.

I look forward to seeing all you talented chaps use it on wood as I might well have a go at this myself.

May I ask how many of you have experience with Van **** crystals to obtain various shades of brown all the way up to black?

Great thread.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm experimenting with making some walnut husk dye right now. It will be a couple weeks before it's ready. Recipes seem to call for anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. There are a lot of videos on Youtube.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Great article thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts