Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a meteorite about the size of the palm of my hand, heat rounded on one side from atmosphere entery. I want to use it for a cane topper, but don't want to mess it up or foul up its value. Any suggestions on how to attach it?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I agree. It is hard to know with out seeing the object. My first thought is it would be heavy for a cane top.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes -- sorry, I'll get a picture posted ASAP! I should know better than to start a thread without a picture for you guy's :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is unusually dense and heavy for its size -- but I like heavy toppers! And this is one I won't give away. Here are the pics:

DSC02960.JPG DSC02961.JPG
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
DSC02962.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Looks like the only is to drill it and attach to the shank with a threaded rod.and some epoxy

Something different . Isuppose you could mount it like a jeweler would mount a stone? on a larger scale if you didnt want to drill it?

Would you mount it as it is or polish it?

Just off subject for a moment Nice to see you back o line JJireh hope your well

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
One possibility could be something like cobalt suggested. Getting some one who is a blacksmith or decretive welder put it in a metal claw with threaded rod on the bottom that can put into the shank or shaft. That is the only thing I can think of with out drilling the stone. In your area I would bet there are some blacksmith.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes -- I was thinking of the blacksmith idea -- kind of like a diamond mounting?

·
Registered
969 Posts
+1 on putting it into a mounting. I have a friend who collects meteorites, and many are quite valuable. If it is a metallic meteorite, it is certainly work a jewel setting.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 on putting it into a mounting. I have a friend who collects meteorites, and many are quite valuable. If it is a metallic meteorite, it is certainly work a jewel setting.
Yes Gdenby - it has metallic properties and will draw a magnet, but it has to be a good magnet!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks Dennis, doing fine, wish I had something to show, but I have been swamped. Maybe THIS weekend ;)

Rad I have been thinking of several possibilities without having to drill or harm your space rock. I'll try to sketch something up.. they really lean more towards using it as a focal point rather than a topper. i.e. showing off the front of a stick or handle. correctly set and epoxied, it should hold fairly well and if you ever want to yank it out you could. I was just thinking if you have your hand on it regularly it could devalue it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it is unusually dense and heavy for its size -- but I like heavy toppers! And this is one I won't give away. Here are the pics:

attachicon.gif
DSC02960.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSC02961.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSC02962.JPG
Looking at those pictures, I can see that meteorite has a high nickel content. If it were mine I would attempt to polish it in an inconspicuous spot to see if it has a widmanstatten pattern in it. Something that size, with that pattern and fully polished would easily sell for 4k or more.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

attachicon.gif
DSC02960.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSC02961.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSC02962.JPG
Looking at those pictures, I can see that meteorite has a high nickel content. If it were mine I would attempt to polish it in an inconspicuous spot to see if it has a widmanstatten pattern in it. Something that size, with that pattern and fully polished would easily sell for 4k or more.
I know -- but I probably won't sell -- but thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
apart from the beads what is it made from ?
I found this with an internet search, and it was just an image with no description. I believe that the binding material would traditionally be either sinew or leather, stretched and secured while wet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
so here are some preliminary thoughts.

IMG_20140307_115826_091.jpg

so # 1 is creating a handle with the endgrain pointing forward and excavate a cavity to glue your piece into, epoxy should hold. then attach to cane.

This version has a 'meteorite tail' handle.

#2 find or create a spiral cane and excavate part of the spiral for insertion, can be on the top or any par underneath the hand rest. carve spiral for another meteorite tale

#3 braid the meteorite in gold or silver wire (done correctly this can look very nice) leaving remaining braid to wrap around a cane, attach with more wire or anchors.

#4 braid meteorite in gold or silver wire.etc.etc. leaving a small tail which can be epoxied into a cavity on top of a cane (epoxy holding the tail instead of the stone).

any mixture of these could work. Hope that helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JJireh:

Thanks for the ideas, and for all of the time you put into drawing and thought! Much appreciated!
I will give these some thought also -- you're drawings have also inspired my thinking a little -- fortunately I am in no hurry, and I am going to go slow on this one! I've had the meteorite for several years now, after it landed on our farm, and have wanted to mount it on a stick. Thank you for the input! Don't hesitate to send other ideas as they occure to you!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Good to see some ideas for it Rad always food for thought

I also think it would look good polished but dont know if it would effect the value , but its a a good idea not to rush into things A idea may hit you how to mount it

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't thank me too much, I took about 5 min to sketch them :) I just think it's a cool object with a great story and have been thinking about what I would do if I had it. But like you, I wouldn't rush into anything, it will come.

Side note, I was watching some youtube videos on wiring stone mounts. Some pretty intricate designs could be used on sticks too, may have to add that to my list ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts