Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have this on offer at Aldi tomorrow (13th). You could always remove the grinding wheel and replace it with a felt one or even an mdf coated in autosol, makes a great honer in my experience. The angle of presentation to the linishing belt is adjustable and so makes a good tool for re-shaping chisels, definitely a cheaper alternative to the Robert Sorby option which does about £250.

Anyway, might be worth a punt:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bench-grinder-and-belt-sander/p/093655051910900

·
Registered
181 Posts
Caveat emptor - check the direction of belt travel etc to make sure they are suitable or you can reverse the guards!

As suspected - the belt and wheel rotate TOWARDS you, so unless you can switch the guards around or just want it for wood then it's probably best to avoid!

·
Registered
907 Posts
There are other ways. mount it on a base that you can tip over90 degrees and build a tool rest from the opposite so that the belt is running away from you, then change the guards round on the wheel side. I bought the wet grinder from Aldi (Tormek look alike) and made a tool rest set up at the back using Tormek spares SO yes difinetely worth a punt

Rough sketc of principle

Rectangle Font Slope Art Automotive design

ps If you wish I could post the pics of the wet grinder mods and if you need any info on modifying the above all you need to do is ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Gloops, I'm okay on the wet grinder mods, just might ask my electrical engineering friend about reversing the polarity on the motor to get it spinning in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most electric motors can be reversed.

Rodney
Apparently it can be a little tricky depending upon how the armature is wound. TBH I'm not bothering with this item, got too much going on to be messing about at the minute.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one from another brand, Ferm, and they are worth the money. Changed the small wheel off and replaced it with a buffing mop.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have the Aldi one - a good buy at the price - converted it into a tormek lookalike and the next stage will be to turn the dry grinding wheel into a stropping station (as Lol999 has done(.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts