Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most used tool in your shop? Hand tool, Power tool, Bench Top, Stand Alone?
Probably my most used tool is the wood lathe, however, I use a lot of other tools in preparing my wood for lathe work, so it's hard to say what gets the most use!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Thats a difficult one

most useful tool i find is the bandsaw chisels palm tools and most of all the rotary tools and my carvers mallet

I get a plank of lime 8ft long 2 inches thick which is always the width of a tree about 18 inches wide ite the cheapest way to buy it and just cut of any size i need,

Also keep in a range of ferules ,nickel silver collars glass eyes for birds etc that needs it and plenty of pencils and the the pyrogph tool . a range of burrs and sanding drums

The pyrograph is handy as useing a 2b pencil it just smudges the work so the pyrograph gives a clear definate line which makes life easter to follow when using burrs on the rotary Also the carvers and wood vice

Always have 3 rotary tools set up with burrs drum sanders and small polishing stones which i use for texturing as well

no doubt there are others

But where would you be without the bench and most of all a brush and shovel always getting it in the neck for trampling sawdust in the house

What is the most used tool in your shop? Hand tool, Power tool, Bench Top, Stand Alone?
Probably my most used tool is the wood lathe, however, I use a lot of other tools in preparing my wood for lathe work, so it's hard to say what gets the most use!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cobalt:

I see I'm not the only one having difficulty narrowing it down! :)

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
you just cant narrow it down one min your using one thing next something different .

It just depends what im doing

Tried my electric file today pretty impressive its another new toy to play with had it about 6weeks handy for small carvings but it can take of to much i wood if not careful

·
Registered
969 Posts
"But where would you be without the bench and most of all a brush and shovel always getting it in the neck for trampling sawdust in the house"

I had to smile at that, because I just bought a new broom yesterday, and have a 5 gal. bucket full of dust and shavings that need to get into my compost pile.

Which caused me to realize that my most used tools were sandpapers and abrasive rasps. While I toyed w. the notion of buying a few Auriou rasps as a Christmas present to myself, I decided to save a few hundred $s, and stick w. my $15 4-in-hand.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The most used tool is the pencil for me ,without that nothing would get started

could do with a broom now this is after a few mins work

Wood Gas Publication Flooring Composite material

"But where would you be without the bench and most of all a brush and shovel always getting it in the neck for trampling sawdust in the house"

I had to smile at that, because I just bought a new broom yesterday, and have a 5 gal. bucket full of dust and shavings that need to get into my compost pile.

Which caused me to realize that my most used tools were sandpapers and abrasive rasps. While I toyed w. the notion of buying a few Auriou rasps as a Christmas present to myself, I decided to save a few hundred $s, and stick w. my $15 4-in-hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
As far as actual carving, my go to tools are the Flexcut mini-scorps. I think because they kinda handle like a pocket knife. Since I do mostly root handle canes I don't use the big power tools as much. I do love my grinder with the chainsaw blade though.

Wood Staple food Hardwood Cuisine Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as actual carving, my go to tools are the Flexcut mini-scorps. I think because they kinda handle like a pocket knife. Since I do mostly root handle canes I don't use the big power tools as much. I do love my grinder with the chainsaw blade though.

attachicon.gif
scorps.JPG
Alador -- show us a pic of your Grinder set-up.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Doing the work the way I do I would have to say the one tool that is part of almost every thing I do is my Rockwell Jaw Horse clamp. It holds about any thing I am working on securely. I have made a jig that is held in the jaw horse that holds a carvers vise and my tools. It holds my stick carving jig. It will hold a log for carving in the round. I have held chairs, doors, 4'x4' ply wood sheets, windows, grandkids bikes, fence post in place and much more. Has to be the most useful tool in my shop.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CV3 you are right! It is a great tool, and I use mine a lot also -- I also picked up the bench model for the end of my work bench.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
It is useful but you cant carve with ti? lol ,probable a simple knife must be the ideal one as you dont need anything else? to carve with

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If I were pinned down to one tool it would be a detail knife. Then sand paper. Actually that should be reversed. I can make a plain walking stick without a carving, but I cannot finish a stick without good sandpaper.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I cant do plian sticks the temptations to strong to carve , but wouldnt be without my chisels and rotary tool

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think after my lathe would be my sanding machines -- 12" disk sander, drum sander, large table fed drum sander, and "old lathe" turned into a sander; not to mention my various hand sanders, both powered and hand driven!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
A good disc sander is on my wish list

Also a old motor fitted on a long spindle with some buffing and grinding wheels on would be useful

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have had a Shopsmith for the last 10 years. Lathe, 12"disk sander, 10" table saw., vertical and horizontal drill press all in one. Bandsaw and planer attachments. The horizontal drill press is great for drilling the hole in the top of the cane or walking stick shaft. I can center and drill any linkth stick. They are handy in a small shop. Changing setups can be a bit of a pain but if up plan you work its not bad.

Reactions: CAS14
1 - 20 of 25 Posts