Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been away from the forum for a good while due to health issues. I took a bad fall on the deck in September of 2016 and shattered my right femur, and was medivac'd to the trauma center in the Metro Area an hour away by ambulance. 20 minutes by helo. I was in the hospital there for about ten days, then Thirty at the VA after that major reconstruction. My X-ray looks like the Eiffel Tower. LOL.

I spent another five months learning to walk again... and none too well. I can stand.. about fifteen minutes at a time and pain makes me take a break. Most of my time in the shop is spent working from my chair, but I am grateful for that. I never forgot this friendly forum, and I had already ordered the spokeshave and had a cane in mind, but just finally got around to making one. Here is the project.

I started with an old piece of walnut I saved for the project.

Wood Machine tool Hardwood Composite material Wood stain

After jointing the face, I ripped it on the table saw, and clamped the jointed faces together for glue up. I let it set up overnight.

Table Furniture Wood Tableware Engineering

Once the blank was set, I took it out of the clamps, trimmed the bark off on the bandsaw and then trimmed the blank square on the table saw. I got started shaping with the spokeshaves.

Table Furniture Wood Desk Workbench

Taking a break from the spokeshave, I laminated the block for the handle. I sandwiched a piece of mahogany between two of spaulted maple and set that aside to dry.

Wood Hardwood Tool Drill Table

Once it was dry, I cut out the shape on the bandsaw. I used a folding cane from CVS to draw out the comfortable grip pattern and began the shaping on the bench sander, and the rest was done using long strips of 80 and 100 grit sandpaper.

Wood Table Plant Hardwood Flooring

Once I got the basic handle shape, I mounted it on the shaft and then worked to blend the two together. Using the spokeshave, it was careful work, but I was pleased with the results.

Wood Natural material Chair Table Wood stain

Furniture Chair Wood Table Wood stain

Using more long strips of 80 and 100 grit sandpaper, I reshaped the handle and then smoothed out the scratches progressing up to strips of 220 grit.

Wood Natural material Wood stain Hardwood Plywood

Working with the spokeshave, I continued to shape the shaft and narrowed the bottom of the cane shaft to draw it down to accept the foot... I drew a goal on the bottom and carefully drew closer and closer to that.

Bottle Wood Yellow Bicycle handlebar Table Wood Shelving Headgear Toy Room

Final sizing for the foot was also done with strips of 80 grit sandpaper, then I shaped the cane shaft a bit more.... using the spokeshave. A final sanding, then finish was applied. Watco Oil in Medium Walnut.

Didn't want to go too dark and mask the beauty of the spaulted Maple, but still wanted to bring out the richness of the walnut. Nice compromise. Waxing with British Beeswax, three coats, will complete the project.

Wood Musical instrument Natural material Tool Kitchen utensil

Attachments

Reactions: wallbanger

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Great looking cane! Far better than my first one.

Sorry about your fall and rough time afterward. It's good to see you again and spending time in your shop.

Rodney

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I looked at the cane as an opportunity to learn to use the spokeshave, and enjoyed the time in the shop using the new tool. I bought the spokeshave from Lee Valley just for making canes. I plan to make a couple more to see how they turn out. :thumbsu:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hope you are on the mend. Way to not let your struggle drag you down! I am impressed with your determination to keep on with your wood working through adversity.

I love your mix of woods on the cane, it's a great looking job :goodjob: Keep um coming! 1 cane down and ???? to go, eh?

I need it to get out to the garage/shop and start a piece for a dear friend that just lost a couple toes to diabetes. Right now she is struggling to get around with a walker, but she is determined. She has one of my carved hiking sticks and I thought to make her a custom cane, might help her mobility.

Once again great looking cane and thanks for reminding me to get off my duff and help a friend in need!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Glad you are on the mend!! good looking stick. Well done.! I had two hip replacements I do not think it is as bad as what you have gone though .but I do under stand the time it takes to heal.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Very nice looking stick. On shanks with no bark, I also use a spoke shave (along with a drawknife) for shaping. They are a great addition to a tool kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts