Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a go at making a thumbstick but have seen some wonderful one's done of late and it's inspired me to put

a couple together.

Chestnut shank and top on one, and the other a Chestnut shank with a Broadleaf Canadian Maple topper. They need to

be cut to size.

The cane/walking stick is Paper Bark Maple, very heavy and a dark heartwood and figuring on the underside. Thanks for looking.

Sean

Attachments

Reactions: norson

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
The paper bark maple does grow wild around these parts here in BC. But if there ever was a wood that checks this is it! I have virtually limited to no problems with most other woods harvested other than this species of maple. As soon as I collect it I paraffin the ends and store for at least a year before working on it. It's a very heavy wood, green and dried.

The Chestnut shanks grow so straight and don't really sprout any off shutes so I agree great looking wood lightly sanded with 220 grit, bark on, and oiled.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've just reminded me to put my makers mark on them. I'd forgotten.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that's true. I'm not really into carving but like to hunt around for odd shapes and such and just generally use

what has been provided naturally.

Reactions: norson

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Mark,
This I how I grasp my thumbstick with this style topper. Lower down shaft sometimes as well is comfortable also. Sean

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    159.2 KB Views: 65
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.