Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I mentioned making a stick out of a plum branch that I got in Idaho. Here are some pictures of it. I made it maybe three years ago. So far the only pictures I have of it are from a hike I took it on, up Mount Timpanogos, in 2017. As you can see it isn't very tall, it's a nice length for feeling like a gentleman. When I first made it I finished it with a mix of beeswax and I think apricot nut oil - I didn't know about non-drying oils. When I took it up Timp it got damp and the finish got wrecked. After that I used some Watco rejuvenating oil, and I think I've used something else with it; anyway it repelled water from a creek last summer. Recently I tried a new mix I made of beeswax and walnut oil - I like the idea of using that kind of stuff, even with the trial and error I've been through. A few months ago I put a rubber tip on, one of those gray ones from a pharmacy. I don't like the look of it and would like to put a metal tip on some day.

Anyway, without further ado, a couple pictures, none of them really close up yet. I'll probably take some one of these days.

Plant Bedrock Recreation People in nature T-shirt
Plant Plant community People in nature Luggage and bags Natural landscape

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
:lol: I don't have a copyright on it or a trade mark. I'm not big-time enough to worry about it.

Cool pictures and a good looking stick. I love working with flowering plum when I can get it.

Lee Valley (Veritas) sells a nice tip. They look great and have the option of a metal point. The rubber portion is small and I suspect wears out quickly but they are a great looking tip.

I have a wood lathe and make my own from copper or brass pipe and rubber stoppers. They've held up well so far. I wrote how to do it here a while back. Other members have shown their own tips here too. It might give you some ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.